20. The Romantic Experiment

"Arthur"

"No"

"I am not asking you. I'm telling you" I paced around the living room behind him

"I didn't sign up for this" He started picking up the files he scattered on the dining table "She is not my responsibility"

"Are you guys speaking to each other again?" Caroline spoke from the other end of the table.

"That's none of your business kid" Arthur snapped.

"Did you make up last night?" Caroline ignored his glare and typed away hurriedly on her phone.

"Do you see her?" Arthur directed his glare at me this time "I can't handle her. You take her"

"I have two client meetings today. Besides I took her yesterday. It's your turn. You live in this house free of cost. The least you can do is share a little responsibility"

"She's got a point" Caroline nodded not taking her eyes off her phone "A man who can't share responsibility is no man"

"I have meetings too" Arthur protested "And...and...." I raised a brow urging him to continue "I'm meeting Rhea after work so I'll be late. I can't take her"

I blinked, all the fight leaving me "Oh"

"Yeah" he looked away.

"Caroline, go get dressed" I cleared my throat, buying time "You can ask Keith to drop her off after work"

Caroline walked away silently sensing the sudden shift of mood in the room. Once I was sure she couldn't hear us, I turned my attention back to Arthur.

"I have been meaning to talk to you about Rhea"

"What about her?" he frowned.

"Do you think we should give her my identity? It will make her decision easier and honestly with her past, I feel like I'll be hurting her by keeping this from her"

"I thought about it" he nodded "It's not fair to her but I don't want to take a risk at this point"

"You don't trust her?"

"I do trust her" He tapped the edge of the table with his fingers "I just don't want to take the risk in case things go south"

"You think she'll say no?"

"That's not..." He rubbed his face seemingly frustrated "Look let me handle Rhea okay. If she blames someone at the end of it, it will be me. I'll live with it. So don't tire your crazy head with useless thoughts"

"Right" I nodded stiffly.

____________

- I am tempted to change sides. He just fed me a royal meal. Caroline texted.

'Good for you' I typed back.

Caroline has taken it upon herself to give me updates about her day every few minutes. I can't emphasize on how much happier I would have been without it.

.

- Okay this is hilarious.
- We ran into his father at the elevator (He is hot btw)
- Your mate thought he could hide me behind him and his father wouldn't even notice.
- There....I got a pointer for you: He's scared of his father.

'He is not my mate' I typed 'And I hope you didn't create a scene in his father's presence'

- I totally did.
- You should have seen his face.