chapter •mistress seymour

They arrived at the English court with ease.

"Your Highness, the king will receive you in 10 minutes." Charles said to the Grand Duchess and the second prince. Anastasia nodded before having her ladies help her dress more appropriate.

"Kak naschet etogo, vashe vysochestvo? (What about this, Your Highness?)" Anastasia's Principal Lady in Waiting, Kathleen, asked in Russian. She held up a turquoise colored dress with golden thread designs. Anastasia nodded at the choose and her ladies help put it on. Another lady in waiting, Sarah, held a beautiful necklace out for Anastasia to look, which Anastasia found satisfying and put it on. Now was looking like a true queen, and no one can bring her down.

 Now was looking like a true queen, and no one can bring her down

"Istinno siyayushchiy, vashe vysochestvo. Tsar' ne smozhet otorvat' glaz ot tebya (Truly radiant, Your Highness. The king will not be able to take his eye off you.)" Tatiana comments with a beautiful smile. Anastasia smirks before a knock was at the door. Sarah opened it to reveal Charles Brandon.

"Grand Duchess, the King and the court are ready." Charles said, he held his arm out for Anastasia to take. He led her to the main hall where the King and the court were.

"Her Highness, the Grand Duchess Anastasia of Russia." Once she was seen in view, everyone bowed in respect to her. Anastasia's eyes fell on Henry and no one else. Stiva stopped Charles and took Anastasia to stand in front of the King.

"Sister, this is King Henry of England. Your Majesty, this is Anastasia of Russia." Henry was in aww of the woman in front of him, he had completely forgotten that his mistress, Jane, was still there.

"Your Majesty." Anastasia greets with a bow in respect.

"Your Highness, welcome to England. It's a great pleasure to having you here." Henry let out, still captivated.

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

"Allow me to present my daughters, the Lady Mary." Mary Tudor, daughter of Catherine of Aragon stepped forward and bowed. Anastasia smiled at the young woman, who didn't return it. "...and the Lady Elizabeth." Next was a young red haired child, age 3 or 4. Elizabeth smiled at Anastasia and held out the flowers she picked. Elizabeth is the spitting image of her still alive mother in the tower.

"Your daughters are more beautiful than the stories say." Anastasia said softly. Jane glared at the Grand Duchess and looked away. Kathleen caught this and whispered to the other ladies in Anastasia's serves. They knew right away that Jane Seymour was a threat.

___________________

That night, Anastasia had snuck out of the castle, accompanied by Kathleen as they headed to the Tower of London. It was cold and dreary there. A single light was seen on the very top of the tower. Anastasia wrapped her hood closer and walked up. Kathleen opened to heavy door and let Anastasia in. Anne Boleyn stood there, pale complexion, dark circles around her eyes. Anne was in misery, not by how she was being treated, but by the separation of her daughter. Anne now knew what it felt for Catherine when she was separated from Mary.

Anastasia wondered if this might happen to her. Anne gave the Russian woman a curiosity look.

"Who are you?"

"Zatknis'. (Shut up.) You will bow to the Grand Duchess, future queen of England." Kathleen hissed. She was a very religious woman, believed that Anne was a whore for leading the King away from his true wife and the one true church. Anastasia hissed at Kathleen in Russian before sitting down.

 Anastasia hissed at Kathleen in Russian before sitting down

Anne curtsied at Anastasia before sitting as well.

"If I may ask, Your Highness, why have you come here?" Anne asked. Tomorrow will be her execution and this woman was standing right in front of her before it.

"You have come here to ask you something. On my journey here, I have wondered what kind of man the king is."

"Henry, the king, is a difficult husband. I loved him, truly, but that wasn't enough. I lost favor when I wasn't able to conceive a son. When I had been able to conceive, I would fall into miscarriages."

"And do you believe that that would happen to her Highness?" Kathleen asked the Boleyn woman. Anne nodded, undoubtedly.

"Henry wants a son, he will do whatever it takes to have one. You must be careful, do not meddle in his affairs, that was my first mistake."

"I can't keep that promise, Lady Boleyn. When I am queen, I will do what is necessary for my new home." Anastasia said. Anne only nodded.

"If I may, Your Highness, I have a request or two." Anne asked, Anastasia nodded for her to go on.

"Take good care of my daughter, please. I only wish for her wellbeing. And second, try to keep the title of queen. Don't let that whore Jane Seymour take what is now yours. I will rest easily knowing that the Seymours will never have power like I did." Anne finished. Anastasia nodded.

"With this, I can assure you that Mistress Seymour will be just that, a mistress and nothing more." Anastasia said before finally leaving.

____________________________________

That next day, Henry and Anastasia were married in the morning. That same morning, Queen Anne Boleyn was executed for crimes no one knows if she even committed. The only crime that she did commit that was important in the eyes of Henry.

Which was that she didn't give birth to a son.

I BELIEVE THAT ANNE WAS INNOCENT.