Chapter 25

As night was about to fall, you guys cleared large pebbles and pieces of rocks from the side of the road and laid out a piece of cloth to sleep more comfortably. A cloth big enough for a picnic blanket... well, from the way you were using it, it was a picnic blanket. You laid sat down next to Megumin as the Dolls were with the kids.

(Y/N): *thoughts* The monsters in the vicinity were very strong. I wouldn't be so worried if Remilia and Flandre weren't here. We didn't start a fire, it would be troublesome if we attracted monsters, and we're sticking close together when sleeping tonight.

After watching Kazuma open the lid of the undead repellent magic item that he purchased from Vanir, everyone placed their bags on the center of the wide blanket. Resting your backs onto your bags, you guys leaned on each other. The girls slept on each side of me, Flandre next to Megumin and Remilia next to Aqua. Probably because it was cloudy today, you couldn't see any stars at all.

Kazuma: With my night vision from my Farsight skill and my Enemy Detection skill, I could detect enemies even in the dark. Therefore, I'll be staying up all night to keep watch.

(Y/N): No, Kazuma. I'll take the first shift. I'll have the dolls form a perimeter.

Kazuma: Are you sure?

(Y/N): Yeah, just get some sleep.

Kazuma nodded in agreement, the other three decided to rest in shifts. Megumin and you took the first watch.

Darkness... Kazuma, I know that (Y/N) is taking the first shift, but your still not going to sleep for a while. Are you really fine with not sleeping? It's true that from the type of skills you have it would be better for you to be awake, but...

Darkness said to Kazuma.

Kazuma: Don't worry. I have the characteristic of being strong in staying up all night. In the country I was from, staying up all night was nothing to me.

Megumin asked after hearing that:

Megumin: By the way, where did you, (Y/N) and Aqua live in the past? I'm curious about your country. From the merchandise you developed, that country seems to have plenty of convenient magic items. I wonder what kind of life you had lived there, too. Just what kind of lifestyle could train up the characteristic of 'being strong in staying up all night'...

Darkness seemed intrigued by the topic Megumin brought up and glanced at us from the side.

(Y/N): *thoughts* What kind of lifestyle, huh...

Kazuma: I see... We were Rankers in our country.

Megumin & Darkness: ...? Ranker?

Megumin and Darkness asked at the same time.

It was normal for the people in this world not to know about Rankers.

Kazuma: If I must explain, it means someone with a high ranking. I was known to my comrades as 'Kazuma-san who's only lucky in getting rare drops', 'Kazuma-san who's always online no matter what time I log in', and so on... Anyway, I had all sorts of nicknames and was trusted by everyone. We raided fortresses, hunted powerful bosses; those were enjoyable times... Staying up all night was a norm. I didn't eat proper meals, and only slept two hours a day before returning to my quest to hunt monsters...

(Y/N): *holding in laughter* Kazuma... Really?!

Kazuma: *whispers* Shut up.

After hearing this, gasps came from beside you and Kazuma.

Darkness: How, how amazing... Attacking fortresses and hunting bosses...! I see, Kazuma reacts so quickly to any changes in situations because of the experience you accumulated...! How, how amazing...!