One

Madeleine Bernadotte.

"Why must we meet with a bastard? He has no lands, no title, no coin, no nothing! He's a kings bastard. Who in my opinion should have been left. No claim, no nothing." Arema rants, spinning in her new mahogany dress.
"He is of importance apparently. Isn't he Madeleine?" Mira asks leaning into her chair and looking me dead in the eyes.
"Yes" I respond before turning my attention to Arema as she fuddles with the corset of Annitah, her gaze off in space and her hands slowing.
"Arema, the bastard! Comments?" Annitah urges as her attention shifts to us.
"No comments. Madame would you like assistance?" She asks me whilst tying the bottom of Annitah's corset.
"What have I told you? Don't call me madame, your grace, your majesty, none of it. We've been friends since infants, there is no need unless around the servants or anyone important" I state, my accent lacing the words slightly.
"Sweet child, you should be more careful when you speak. You never know who's listening." My father speaks quickly whilst ushering my ladies and friends to leave my chambers.
"Dearest Father, pleasure?" I respond whilst placing the small metal flower crown one of the local blacksmiths child made for me on my head.
"Queen Catherine leaves now, will you go with her?"
"To meet the dauphin? No choice." I state before standing and grabbing my Celtic mother knot necklace and clipping it behind my neck.
"Of course. Please do me a favour, stay safe my dear, don't let Henry get to you. Nor Mary" with a final bow, my father leaves my chambers and I begging the slow walk to my carriage with Catherine to travel to France in.

As I walk through the hallways, I think of all the memories. Before I was left alone. Before Terrin and Åke were born. And before Linnéa and Tove were born. Before mother left us to reclaim her throne. When we were a family.
I start to pick up the pace and job slightly laughing to myself. Wishing a split second I start to yell and laugh.
"Knowing me knowing you, ah ha! There is nothing we can't do! Knowing me knowing you, ah ha!" I start to laugh at how I pronounce some words, I hear the guards laughing with me. With a nod they open the door.

"Your grace, such a shame to see you go. No doubt the dauphin will love you and if not, well" my fathers mistress, Evana says with sympathy. Fake sympathy.
"No it's not" I state, pushing past her and her kids from her failed marriage and going towards Catherine and my little sister Tove.
"Sister, why must you leave?" Tove whispers as I approach them.
"I must be wed to secure my succession line, and because Evana says I'm almost expired, dear one." I respond as she giggles, she may be 9 but she understands what a woman's expiration means.
"Can I come to your wedding?" She batts her eyelashes and pouts.
"If there is one, Catherine's son has another woman to wed. He must choose one." I state shyly, Catherine had been working with me for several months, preparing me to whoo her sons favour. I'm not sure how much it's worked but she says he won't be able to resist once he's sees me and gets to know me more.
"Dear child, we must be off now. Why don't you run and play with your sister, yes?" Catherine asks Tove, patting her dark curls that rest upon her head. She has curls on the top of her head naturally whereas the rest of her hair is straight. It's odd, but not uncommon.
"Goodbye full flower, I'll miss you" she says with eyes tearing up.
"Goodbye budding flower, I'll write whenever I can" I tell her with a small smile and embrace her, cherishing this moment with her. I may not see her until she is of age to wed.
Climbing into the carriage I look at my home, my family and the people who have helped raise me. To turn away from such a place causes my heart to ache slightly. I feel a hand pushing me to go into the carriage, my guard, Per. I know I am safe with him.
"My dear, drink this. It will help you with any nerves you might have" Catherine explains while handing me a small vile of rose liquid.
"Not poison?" I question hesitantly.
"I don't carry poison everywhere! I might accidentally kill myself." She states as I laugh quite loudly and drink the liquid as she starts to giggle.
"Thank you Catherine"
"Please, call me mother. If it makes you comfortable. You need a mother. I know I'm not always as sweet as your mother once was but at least I'm here." She responds sweetly. Mother. I might get used to it. Might not. Well see.

~French Court~

"Her royal highness, Queen Catherine" a man outside announces as Catherine steps out of the carriage we're in.
"Her ladies, Annitah, Amera and Mira Of Sweden, Germany and Italy" the same man announces as I assume my ladies step out of their carriages.
"And her royal highness, Queen Madeleine Bernadotte Of Sweden, Germany, Italy, Greece and Rome" I step out of the carriage and look for Catherine, she gives a slight nod when our eyes meet and I step out further, rest my feet son the cobble path.
My ladies rush to my side and smooth out my dress as I look around at all the people.
"We know that's Catherine and king Henry, whos the lady beside him?" Annitah whispers.
"Diane, his mistress and that's the bastard son he had before the dauphin" Amera mutters back.
"Where's the dauphin?" Nina asks slightly louder as my attention fades to the blonde man walking towards us. I know he'll pass us but his attention caught my gaze.
"I think that's him" Mira states as I turn my attention to the one my ladies called the "bastard" and straighten up my posture slightly.
"Good day madame, my name is Sebastian De Poitiers. I have been asked to greet you and show you to your chambers. I apologise my brother is unable to join us, he seems taken on what's in that tree]" He informs us as I giggle slightly at his efforts to make a charming impression.
"Hello Sebastian, I'm Madeleine. This is Annitah, Mira and Amera. Thank you for greeting us in my native tongue but I would prefer if we spoke less formally, differing reasons being." I respond and allow him to kiss my hand and lead us into the castle.
Passing Catherine on the way, she gives me a small smile before walking away with some man I am unfamiliar with.
Turning slightly I look back to the blonde man that passed us and see him looking right at us with a smirk upon his face. He is the dauphin. The man I must impress and must marry. I'm doing a great job by holding hands with his bastard brother and walking closely to him.

A great job indeed.