-Chapter 21-

Tempest

I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful place...

The world around me is glowing with warmth, filled with lush greenery and happy wildlife...like paradise itself. I could only imagine what this place looked like before I came here, but it's safe to say that my imagination never did it enough justice.

Sensing movement beside me, I look down to see Zuzu next to me, his body covered in glowing vine like marks that look like mine...and I look down to my hands to see them glowing brightly as well, their warmth a bit distracting to me.

"I've always been fascinated by your marks gumdrop, it's like they have a life of their own..."

The voice that calls out to me makes me pause, and I slowly turn around to see a face I've dearly missed...

"Auntie..." I say with a mixture of disbelief and happiness, and her warm smile is accentuated by her deep wrinkles.

"Come here gumdrop." She murmurs moments before I walk into her embrace, enjoying the feeling of her arms around me as I inhale deeply. The scent of mixed incense that clings to her loose gray hair, and the scent of tree sap that clings to her clothing brings back the fond memories I have...the ones that make me tear up as I realize yet again that this will be the last time I see her.

"Don't you cry now little one, you've done enough of that over me..." She whispers softly as she pats my head.

"I know...I just miss you..." I sniffle, and she sighs.

"And I miss you too gumdrop, but life must continue on without me...look at how much you've accomplished since I've left this world, the soulmate you found after moving to the house I gave you..."

She pulls back to look up at me, her blue eyes that are just like mine glimmer proudly as she stares.

"I knew moving to North Carolina would help you grow and improve...and look at you." She continues as she cups my face, "You've gotten so much stronger, and will be the Luna of your mates pack soon."

I reflect her smile, and then her eyes become fierce.

"But don't forget the reason you came here child, or the reason you must leave once you're finished here." She reminds me, taking the pendant hanging on my neck in between her fingers, the gleam of the steel bringing a flash of Butch's face to my mind.

She's right, I can't forget...this place has a way of distracting you from your own thoughts. A way of luring you into staying longer than your supposed to...

"My brother...and my mate....my reason for coming and reason for leaving." I repeat out loud, and she nods.

"Good girl, hold onto that thought, don't let yourself be distracted."

I nod, glancing my eyes around to take in the immense area around me...where do I even begin looking for my brother? This place is endless...

"I can show you the way gumdrop, that's exactly why I'm here...to guide you through this place." Auntie murmurs as she takes my hand and begins walking beside a shimmering river, following behind Zuzu...and her familiar Salazar, a black tom cat.

He was a pain to me when he and Auntie were still alive...always getting me in trouble and messing up my potions and spells. Like most familiars, when Auntie passed away, Salazar followed her...

"Where exactly are we heading Auntie?" I murmur as we walk for what seems like hours, though I don't feel tired in the least...just increasingly anxious as time goes on. The scenery seems to get darker and more ominous as we continue, eerily quiet as both the wildlife and forest vegetation disappears...and the clear blue river turns black as tar.