Chapter Seven - Deal

As the sunlight peaked into her room, Opal silently faced away from the window. She held her phone to her face, waiting on Jalin to send her a good morning text. He usually would text her at around 7:30 AM, but it was a ten minutes till eight, and she hadn't gotten anything. Hot tears dripped from her eyes onto her pillow. She fought the urge to text him back and decided to get ready for school.

Opal took a shower, brushed her teeth, got dressed, pulled her hair into a messy bun, and didn't even put on a little bit of makeup. As she walked downstairs in an oversized hoodie and long black leggings with some matching slides, James looked at her in disbelief. Opal fixed her plate and noticed him looking at her. "What?" She asked.

"It's only 8:15. You usually aren't ready for school until the last minute." James said as he watched his little cousin sit down and start eating breakfast. Opal only shrugged and looked down at her plate. "Ready to discuss last night?" James asked softly. Opal simply nodded.

"I'm sorry..." She said softly.

"It's okay. I was just worried about you. If you didn't come back by around this time, I was going to call the police and report you missing." James said with a slight chuckle. "But, Opal...is this guy really worth you sneaking out for?"

Opal shrugged her shoulders. "I usually only go through hell for whoever I deem worth it." She said simply. "If I didn't think he was, I wouldn't have done it."

"It's not about if you think he is worth it, it's about if he is worth it." James clarified. "I mean...Opal, if I'm being honest, he's a thug. He doesn't seem like a good person. He seems like someone who pushes people's buttons until they crack. And then blames the whole world when someone gets mad at him for what he does." James explained. Opal wanted to defend Jalin, but she couldn't find any way to. "I mean, that is just what I get from observations of his demeanor." He finally said with a shrug.

Opal looked at him. "You mean by your judgement." She said softly. "And, correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't read the bible in a long time, but doesn't it say something along the lines of 'judge not lest ye be judged.'" She tilted her head. "That's why Jalin is how he is. People judge him rather than get to know him."

"Well, how about this," James said as he leaned against the counter. "How about you invite Jalin over and me and him get to know each other. Man to man."

Now it was Opal's turn to look at James in disbelief. "You want me to what?" She asked to make sure she heard him right.

James laughed softly. "Invite him over. Tonight actually. I'll be at the church for most of the day but I'll be home at around six. Tell him to come by at around seven and let's talk."

"Under one condition." Opal said, holding up a finger.

"Shoot." James said with a nod.

"I stay in the room the entire time. No sending me to the kitchen to get whatever so you have a moment alone. I stay in the room." Opal said seriously.

"Way to suck the fun out of it." James said with a laugh. "Deal." He held his hand out.

"We have a deal." Opal said, shaking his hand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opal spent the entire morning and in between classes looking for Jalin. She nearly forgot about the previous night and hoped that he did too. She found him sitting by himself in the cafeteria at lunchtime. She got her food and sat next to him. She was quiet as she ate her food. Suddenly, Jalin broke the silence. "What did I do wrong?" He asked softly.

Opal looked at him with a confused expression. "Huh?"

"I thought you and I felt the same way." Jalin said.

Now Opal was severely confused. "Jalin, what are you talking about?" She asked as she turned her whole body to completely face him. "Same way about what?"

"Church...how your brother feels about me...I didn't know you'd blow up on me with all that static." He said, shaking his head.

"I guess I did overreact a little." Opal looked away. "I'm sorry." She said softly.

"You're fine. I probably should've kept my mouth shut." Jalin sighed softly. "I'm sorry."

Opal finally smiled and hugged him. "Speaking of my brother, I have some surprising news."

Jalin tilted his head. "And what might that be?" Jalin asked.

"James wants me to invite you over to our house tonight at seven so he can get to know you." Opal smiled.

Jalin shook his head in disbelief. "Quit playing with me, Opal." Jalin laughed.

"I'm serious! I was completely shocked myself, but he was serious." Opal giggled.

"Oh, no. He's gonna try to kill me." Jalin said, shaking his head.

"Negative. I made him promise to make sure I was around you two at all times no matter what." Opal said with a smile. "And plus, James isn't like that."

"Man...well, I'm gonna be there, but don't think I won't be suspicious." Jalin said.

Opal simply rolled her eyes and shook her head. "You just leave your weed at home and take a shower so James isn't suspicious." Opal whispered to him.

Jalin laughed softly and nodded. "I got you."

"And do something with your hair." Opal said.

"Alright." Jalin responded.

"And wear something nice."

"Anything else, mother?" Jalin asked with a smile as he raised his right brow.

Opal punched his arm and laughed. "Oh, shut up. You know I'm serious, Jalin."

"I know, I know. Gotta make a good first impression." Jalin nodded as the bell rung. "And now it's time to walk you to class."

"Which you, once again, don't have to do." Opal pointed out as she threw her trash away.

"But I, once again, want to." Jalin said as he grabbed her hand.

Opal and Jalin attracted many stares as they playfully walked to Opal's next class. Once outside of the classroom, the couple talked for a little longer, said their goodbyes, kissed, and then went their separate ways.

.

.

.

.

.

.

I'm starting to get back on my writing grind! 💪🏾😁 This took me a little less than an hour to write and feels more like a filler chapter (sorry 😬). But I just have a feeling that the next chapter is going be interesting 😁✨ I can't wait to get started on it. Wish I could now, but it's almost midnight and I have work early tomorrow morning 😴 I'm sure I will bring the next chapter soon. Can't wait to see what it will hold. I hope you all are excited as I am! 🤩
Y'all stay blessed out there and I will see you in the next chapter! 😘
Bye for now! 👋🏾💕