Just Stay Tuned

Cheyanne's P.O.V

I walked into Mr.Howard's class and he looked nervous.

I sat in my assigned seat between Stacy and Andrea and waited for class to start.

The bell rang and Mr.Howard got up and wiped his forehead.

"Class today we are having a unexpected guest speaker. She's with the S-O-P-P." kids laughed as he said this and he cracked a smile.  "Sexual Offense Prevention Program." he finished and looked around the class. Then stopped at me, Stacy, and Andrea.

"Mrs.Herrera." Mr.Howard said pointing to the back and I noticed a woman sitting in the back. She got up and had a stack of books in her hands.

"Hello class my name is Mrs.Herrera. I have these stacks of coloring books in my hand and I need someone to help me pass them out." The whole class raised their hands including me.

She picked out a boy and a girl and they passed it all out. When I got mine I looked at it and saw a yellow book with a cartoon girl in the book and a man trying to touch her. In the little bubble she said,

"Don't touch me."

I looked over at Stacy and Andrea and they just stared at the book. I looked up when I saw Mrs.Herrera give me some crayons. She smiled at me and went along down the row.

When she was done she stood in front of the class.

"Class im going to show you a PowerPoint about touching. Yes we can give each other hugs, and give each other handshakes. But sometimes, people will take advantage of you and take it too far." she pressed her clicker and a picture came up on the screen in front of the white board. It showed a girl and a boy and had boxes around certain parts.

"For girls, no one should ever touch, or look at these two areas." she said and pointed to the girls private parts.

"And for boys here." she said and pointed to their privates.

"They are called private parts, privates, anything you want to call it. When I say private I mean something personal, only to yourself. No one should ever touch or look in these areas." 

She went on talking about a few scenarios about people touching kids like us. I looked over at Mr.Howard and saw him biting his finger nails.

"There can be times when predators want to take pictures." My eyes widend and I looked at Stacy and Andrea. All three of us peeked a look at Mr.Howard and he gave us mean a look.

I turned back to Mrs.Herrera and saw her taking a quick look around the class.

"No one should be allowed to take pictures of you, because again these are your private parts. Predators like this man here..." she said pointing to the man trying to take a picture of a boy. On the man's part it said 'Pull your shirt up so I could take a picture, it could be our secret.'

On the boy's part it showed him shaking his head saying no.

".....Will tell you its okay to take pictures like these. That it could be you guy's secret." she said.

"But its never okay to keep a secret with an adult in cases like these. Let's say you want to suprise you brother or sister with a birthday party and your parents say to keep it a secret from them. That's a type of secret that kids can keep with adults cause its for a good reason. But if its for a bad reason like this here." she said pointing at the picture and she looked at me.

"Then its never okay..." she said and looked around the class.

"You should tell someone. People like these could be parents, family members, teachers, coaches, anybody. I'm going to show you a clip from this old show named Smart Guy. Its about a kid around your age that's in high school."