Chapter Four

I sat at the table, just staring ahead of me. I took a sip of the coffee that I was holding, letting the bitter and warm liquid roll down my throat. All I could think about was the cold. The biting cold. And no matter how much of the warm drink I forced down, I couldn't escape the memory of the cold.

It was just a dream. I thought to myself, hoping that by repeating this mantra it would come true. But something deep inside—some wild, primal instinct—told me that it was something much more.

The sun hadn't even risen yet when Thomas emerged from his room. "Alex," he said when he saw me. "What are you doing up?"

"Nightmare. Couldn't sleep," I explained simply, standing up and stretching out my limbs, shaking the tiredness from them. "What about you?"

"I have business to take care of," Thomas responded, his eyes moving elsewhere and focusing on the wall, which I found amusing.

"Can I come?"

Thomas stopped and considered this for a second. He made his decision rather quickly, however. "No."

"What? Come on! Please?" I begged, surprising myself at my sudden desire to go, but I continued on anyway. "I don't know where you go and you never let me follow you. Just this once?"

Thomas didn't seem too amused. "No. I don't follow you to your classes, do I?"

I was at a loss for words for a second. "That's different. You know exactly where I'm going and you know exactly when I'll be back. Sometimes you're gone for days."

"Why do you care so much?" Thomas asked suddenly.

This time, I was at a loss for words for much longer. "I don't know," I said finally. "I just kinda worry about you. Are you in a gang?"

"Wha— no I'm not in a gang!"

"Then what's so important that I can't come?"

"It's dangerous, Alexander. And you wouldn't understand at first. I'll take you one day, I promise. But today is not that day."

I let out a sigh of frustration. "Fine."

A look of amusement lined his unnatural eyes. "You care about me."

"What?"

"You just said that you were worried about me, didn't you?"

"Well, I—"

"It's okay, Alexander," he said, smiling a pleased smile. "Your secret's safe with me."

"That's not very reassuring," I returned.

Thomas smiled and walked up to me. He placed a hand on my arm briefly. Any coldness I felt disappeared the instant I felt his warm palm against the soft fabric of my shirt. "I'll see you later, okay? Don't get into trouble while I'm gone."

"Get into trouble while you're gone? Got it."

Thomas laughed in return. In spite of myself, I felt a smile come over my lips when I heard that sweet sound. I watched him walk past me and close the door gently as I made up my mind. A minute or two passed before I began to trail after him.

I tried to keep out of sight as I followed him through the busy streets of New York City. I hadn't lived here for a while, but it didn't make too long to figure out where he was headed.

There were one or two times where I was sure he had seen me, but I hoped I was able to duck out of the way or disappear into the crowds quickly enough so he didn't notice. Even in the early morning, the streets were still crowded.