Chapter Ten

I stared at him, startled as he suddenly appeared in front of me. He set a hand on my arm, and his eyes widened in surprise the moment he came into contact with me. James sucked in a breath of air and looked over at Thomas.

"Is he...?"

"Real?" Thomas asked, finishing for him, as he was unable to by himself. "Yes. As far as I know."

"I'm confused," I said, stating what I assumed to be the obvious.

But my statement was disregarded as the newcomer swept me into a sudden hug. I, unsure of what to do, stood there uselessly.

"Aww, so you do have a heart," Thomas teased as he watched the two of us. 

"Fuck off," James hissed. He seemed to remember some part of himself and quickly moved away from me. Thomas seemed amused, and I focused my gaze elsewhere.

The soft, boyish look in the man's gaze was quickly replaced by anger. "Where. The. Fuck. Have you been?" he demanded all at once, making me blink in surprise at his sudden change. "No! No, you know what? Don't answer that because I don't want to know! Do you have any idea of what you've put us through?"

"I—" I tried, but he waved me away and continued on.

"No, you don't get to speak! So, was this all some sort of game to you? Some elaborate little joke? Haha, you played us all for fools! Isn't it hilarious that we actually mourned for you?" he demanded.

"James—" Thomas began, not bothering to hide the exasperation from his tone.

"Do you have any idea of the pain we were forced through? I cried at your Divinity damned funeral, asshole. And you know that never happens!"

"That's not true, you cry all the time," interjected Thomas, but he was ignored again.

"And if what I suffered through was bad, you should have seen Washington. You should have seen Eliza. Do you know how awful it was to watch her lock herself away for decades on end? To listen to her blame herself for not being able to do anything? No! You don't! Because meanwhile, you're off on Earth just having the time of your life, huh?"

"James—"

"I bet you and John planned this together. You're a Divinity damned asshole, Hamilton. I hope you know that. I hope you also know that I hate you!"

I want it to be known that this man was a couple of inches shorter than me, yet I have never felt more pure and utter terror in my life.

"And how are you even here? I watched you die! This doesn't make any—"

"JAMES!" Thomas yelled.

"What?"

"He doesn't remember anything!"

James faltered. His entire focus turned to Thomas. "Wh... what do you mean?"

"I mean that he likes to prance around in fields all day and pick daisies," Thomas shot back dryly, crossing his arms. His eyes met mine and his expression softened. "He doesn't remember anything about us. About Perriterra."

"Oh." James' frown softened. He looked up at me and held out his hand. "Well, so much for first impressions then. Let's start over. Hi! I'm James."

I stared at him, unsure of what to do or say.

James let his hand fall to his side after a moment of my hesitation and turned to Thomas. "How did this happen? Why doesn't he remember us? Is that why you've made us research memory loss spells? What are we going to tell the others?" A light flickered in his eyes. "Correction. What are you going to tell the others?"