Chapter Twenty Two

A thick blanket of clouds had rolled in from the East and covered any hint of starlight attempting to shine on the world below. A cold breeze had kicked up, which was just great considering I was already the human equivalent of an icicle.

Thomas was standing right next to me. I could feel the warmth rolling off of him, and I wanted nothing more than to grab hold of his arm and press my body close to his.

"There you are," Washington's voice broke the silence of the night as Hercules appeared out of the tree line. "Well?"

"Everything's clear on the ground," Hercules informed us, but what would usually be considered a positive, motivating statement left nothing but the stone cold sensation of dread.

"Thomas?"

"I'm still waiting to hear back from Visu," Thomas returned. I could tell that he was trying to keep his voice indifferent, level, but he couldn't mask the concern that found its way up to his tone.

We waited a few more minutes in the silence, the only sound being that of Thomas humming to himself. I tried to find solace in it, and I think that he was too, but there was only so much comfort we could find with the knowledge of what was about to come.

After what seemed like hours, a soft, rapid succession of hoots broke from the sky. I watched as the screech owl from earlier spiraled down from the air and landed on Thomas's outstretched arm. He let out an audible, shaky breath of relief.

"Hey girl," Thomas cooed as he slid his fingers over the head of the bird, like one would pet a cat or dog. "Whaddya find?"

The owl hooted twice more. I smiled at the way Thomas beamed and kissed her head gently before letting her take off in a storm of feathers, disappearing into the night sky.

"Well?" Washington pressed. I winced at how the urgency in his voice came off, but if Thomas noticed, he didn't comment on it.

"Sky's alright. She didn't see anything from up above."

There was a moment of pause as the meaning of Thomas's words sunk in. There was no excuse, no reason to not act now. Part of me was hoping that somehow, Hercules or Visu would have seen something and we'd be unable to go through with the plan.

But now my gut felt like it was sinking—drowning.

I didn't seem to be the only one who was upset by the revelation. Angelica's eyes grew darker, and Lafayette stared at his feet. But no one dared argue, so Washington nodded and that was the end of it.

"Ready?" Thomas murmured, more directed at me than anything.

I nodded despite the horrible feeling in my stomach and the burning sensation tickling my throat. I looked up at him and tried my best to give him a convincing smile, but he didn't look too convinced.

His hand slipped into mine as Washington gave us the plan once more, as if it hadn't already been engrained into our brains by now. But he wanted to assure that everything would go smoothly, and I didn't blame him for it.

"Let's go," Washington said as he started towards the entrance of the maze. I noticed the hesitation in his step, but he pushed through it and stepped between the two hedges sprawling up to the sky. He took a few more steps, and the greenery seemed to swallow him up whole.

I gulped uneasily and risked a weary glance behind me.

"It's gonna be alright," Thomas assured.

I'm not sure why or how I felt so soothed by his empty promise that he had had no way of knowing if he could keep. But a sense of calm rolled over me like a wave, and I drew a deep breath of the cold night air that was growing chillier by the minute.

His grip on my hand tightened as Aaron passed through the entrance and disappeared just as Washington had. When his hold softened, he left a spiraling tingle of welcome warmth shooting through my body. Seconds later, he let go and made for the entrance.

"See you on the other side," he said, and I was put slightly more at ease at his somehow playful attitude. But whether the 'other side' meant the other side of the maze or death was yet to be determined.

I watched, fear reaching a crescendo as it took hold of me with its icy hands, as Thomas entered the Labyrinth. I watched him disappear into the plants.

"Alexander," Elizabeth said lightly, also trying to break the gloomy mood we had set for ourselves. "I believe you are next, my good sir."

I shot her a playful smile in return and took a careful step toward the entrance. Each step took me closer to the gaping hole and closer to my inevitable breakdown. I pushed through the fear with its icy grip and reached the maze.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped through.

There was nothing for a second, but it was a second of horrible agony. Not agony as in pain, but as in complete and utter terror. The floor around me dropped away, leaving the absolute nothingness pulling at me. I opened my mouth to scream, but no sound came out despite the burning of screaming your throat out.

But the second of nothingness was just that—a second.

And I came to moments later.

Relief raced through my veins as my back made contact with the cold, soft feeling of grass. I stared up at the bleak clouds, trying to make sense of the world around me. The breath had been knocked out of me, but I wasn't hurt.

I sat up slowly, blinking my eyes a few times to chase away the daze I was in.

"I'm okay," I said aloud. I rubbed at my forehead before repeating the phrase. "I'm okay!"

I looked up, expecting to see the crowd of familiar faces standing over me, worried but overall relieved.

Instead I saw nothing but a hedge wall.

Panic, which I had previously thought to have disappeared like smoke in a heavy wind, came roaring back.

"Thomas?!" I cried, trying to project as loudly as possible. "Thoooomaaaas! Elizabeth? James! Anybody?"

Silence answered my call, and the horrible realization set in along with a strange and even more horrible calm.

I was alone.