Chapter Sixteen

She led us down the wide street empty of any signs of movement. Silence pressed in, broken only by the sound of our footfalls against the gravel pavement and the distant marching growing closer and closer.

Elizabeth had taken step beside me, her face impassive and jaw set. When she noticed I was watching her, she flashed me a quick but unimpressive smile, as if she was trying to convince me that nothing was wrong.

I didn't even have to ask to know that she was not fond of whoever was leading us to safety. Well, I at least hope she's leading us to safety.

I gave Elizabeth my best shot at a comforting smile before quickening my pace to match Thomas'.

"Hi."

"I'm not in the mood for this right now, Alexander," he said dismissively.

"You have to talk to me eventually, you know." I dropped my voice to a whisper as I added, "and who is this person, anyway?"

A laugh sounded from the front of the group. "Wow, Alexander," she said, an amused tone heavily lacing her voice, as if I had told a joke. "I mean, I know you lost your memory but I expected you to know who I am." Her voice, to put it simply, was absolutely beautiful. It was perfect in so many ways, like a soft and warm melody beckoning me in.

I blinked in surprise that she had heard me. I also found myself tongue twisted at the quality of her intonation. But before I could follow her response up with any more questions, she turned sharply down an alleyway so narrow we had to walk single file in order to pass through. Her fingers brushed against the wall, and a doorway appeared before our eyes. Not missing a beat, she walked through.

Usually, it's not a good idea to follow strangers down narrow alleyways and into strange doors. That's how you get murdered.

We followed her inside, the doorway disappearing behind us as if it had never been there to begin with.

The room was dimly lit, smelling earthly. I could just see plants of all shapes and sizes crawling up the walls. They looked sinister, and I had to hold back a breath of unease as one approached Elizabeth slowly. A ball of fire lit on her outstretched palm, and the thing returned to its position splayed against the wall, almost warily.

"Who is she?" I asked John.

"Maria." The way he said it implied that everyone knew her by that name alone. That she was respected, feared.

"And I'm supposed to know who that is?"

"Well, she's only the most powerful creature to ever walk the realms."

"I thought that was Fredericks."

Maria snorted as she continued to lead us through the building. "I'm offended that you would even begin to compare me with that... ant."

John cast me a telling look. "Some say she's a star."

"A star?" I repeated.

"Yeah. A fallen star."

Elizabeth's posture stiffened even more somehow.

"And some say I'm Divinity herself!" Maria chirped brightly. "And they aren't, like, entirely wrong!"

She opened another door, this time letting the rest of us pass through first.

The room that greeted us appeared much more habitable. With a start, I realized that it was a shop.

Trinkets and magical looking artifacts were displayed throughout the room in a neat order. Some were colorful, some elegant, grand, and meticulously crafted, and others radiated power so strong I could feel the energy flowing from them like sap from trees.