Chapter Fifteen

From what I've gathered so far from this world, Peritum believe they are superior to humans in every single way. And, in a lot of those ways, they are.

Peritum can manipulate the world around them to do things that humans can't.

Peritum are apparently considered the most advanced, intelligent, and powerful race still alive from any realm.

Peritum aren't bothered by the horrible wars and conflicts that plague Earth in our every day lives.

But in my experience, Peritum are very similar to humans. They can be petty. Blinded by their emotions. Cold and distant for very trivial reasons.

They are not perfect.

They can hurt.

Peritum, despite acting and appearing like gods incapable of doing any wrong, are just as flawed as humans are.

I stared at Thomas from across the room. He was sitting on the couch, feet kicked up on the leg of it. He held his book a couple of inches away from his face. If I didn't know him any better, I would say he was invested in it.

He was a pretty good actor.

But his posture was too still, too rigid. His jaw was set. His eyes were stuck in one place and not moving up and down the page like they would have been if he was reading. He did not look relaxed at all.

Once, he looked up at me, moving the book to the side slightly. When he saw me watching him, his eyes widened, and he quickly darted back to the book.

It was a horrible punishment, but I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing in his situation. I deliberately went behind his back and betrayed his trust. But it still hurt to be the object of the coldness in his gaze.

I opened my mouth, ready to talk to him. I couldn't do this anymore; I had to at least try to make everything alright again. But before I could get a word out, I felt a soft hand brush against my shoulder gently.

"Leave him," a feminine voice gently side from behind me. The wisdom was not wisdom I was looking for. In fact, I would rather do anything else than to leave him alone.

I glanced behind me and was greeted by Peggy. She shook her head in regard to Thomas and turned, sitting down at a table in a corner apart from the others, who were playing some card game. When I didn't make a move to join her, she rolled her eyes and gestured for me.

"I hate it when he's like this," she said, eyeing him as I sat down across from her. Her tone was light despite the heavy feeling in my gut. "He's like a toddler."

I bit down on my lip to stifle the retort I had for her.

"Anyway, I'm going to give you advice even though you probably don't want it. Just leave him alone. He'll come around. He always does. More importantly, how are you doing?"

"And what if he doesn't?"

"He will." If she was bothered by my ignoring of her question, she didn't show it.

Her certainty of the statement surprised me, and her lack of helpfulness was frustrating. "How can you possibly know that?" I demanded, pressing forwards. His silence was becoming too much to bare.

She shrugged, leaning back in her chair. "I'm omniscient. I know everything."

I pushed my tongue against my teeth to hold back a smile that demanded to break free. "But what if he doesn't?"

Peggy sighed deeply, the sound strange coming from the normally cheerful girl. "Look, Alex. Thomas isn't really... well..." She paused as she considered her next sentence, her mouth scrunching up on one side.