Chapter Thirty One

I had never before experienced the same amount of joy that I did when I woke up the next morning.

He was still asleep when I woke up pressed against his chest. I smiled at him carefully, as if even the smallest movement would completely ruin the moment.

The library was alive with the winged animals that always surrounded him, so there was no surprise there. What was surprising was the general... lack of disorder in the room.

Birds of all species lifted their heads to add their voices to the melodic symphony, while the butterflies were a bouquet of different vibrantly colored wings.

There were also flower petals littered on the floor and the couch. At first, I thought they were the ones that the butterflies always left with them (I still haven't asked about that yet), but upon further inspection I realized they were too dark.

They were rose petals.

I didn't know how to feel when I realized they had come from me. I guess you could passively use energy without meaning to.

I returned my attention to Thomas and smiled at him. Eyes closed, lips drawn slightly open, and wings wrapped around my body, he looked nothing short of adorable.

Just peering down at him evoked a strange fluttering feeling in my stomach like I was as light as air and as fast as wind. I slid my hand to his cheek to get accustomed to the feel of his warm, beautiful skin.

But doing so must have woken him, for he let out a soft noise and opened his eyes.

"Hey," I murmured, slipping off of him but taking his hand in the process.

"Hey," he returned, just as sleepily. He pushed himself upwards and kissed me gently but too quickly for me to return it with as much passion as the night before.

"How are you?" I asked lightly, moving closer to him again.

"Quite honestly? I've never been happier. What about you?"

How do you respond to that? If I were to say 'me too', it would sound like I didn't know what to say and I was only copying him. It would sound like I didn't agree with every single word. But anything else and it would seem that I was lacking in enthusiasm, and, once again, that I didn't feel the same way.

"I'm fantastic," I returned, emphasizing it by tightening my grip around his hand. I moved forwards and kissed him again, tipping his chin so I had the perfect angle. His arms wrapped around the back of my neck, pulling me closer to him.

When I pulled away, we both stared at each other for a second before laughing.

I had never felt like this before. Well, that's not entirely true. The relationships I do remember are fake, and the relationships that actually meant something are the ones I can't remember.

It was like being in the middle of a pool and not knowing how to swim, but loving the way that the water coursed around you as you floated.

My mouth hurt from all the smiling, but it was a pain I was willing to bare because I couldn't stop myself from doing so.

"Ready to go downstairs?" I breathed as I let go of his hand and completely moved away from him. I instantly regretted the absence of his gentle warm skin against mine.

"No. I'd rather... not do that." Thomas sat up and stretched his wings as far out as they would go. He did it slow, still sleepy and in the state of absolute bliss that the night before had left us in. "Can't we just stay here? Do some reading together? You still owe me that flight, you know!"