Chapter Seventeen

The little crystal dragon felt heavy in the palm of my hand. The more I stared down at it, the more the horrible feeling in my gut grew. But I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame; putting it down seemed like a crime all on its own.

The necklace wasn't as spectacular as the dragon, so I placed it down on the desk and disregarded it as I ran my finger down the crystal figurine, tracing each and every uniquely created scales.

A knock on the door disrupted my trance. I slid the dragon underneath the jacket I had brought from Earth and called, "come in!"

The door opened, revealing Thomas. He smiled at me and sat down on my bed.

"What's up?"

"Nothing. I was bored."

"So you came to bother me?"

He mock pouted at me. "Bother's a strong word, don't you think?"

I picked up the necklace and joined Thomas. "Any idea what this is?"

Thomas's eyes went wide as he took the necklace from my hand, as gently as if a single touch would break it. "Where did you get this?" he whispered after a while.

"Maria gave it to me."

"She just gave it to you?"

"Umm, yeah."

"Alexander, this is a Divinity Charm."

"Cool," I said simply. "What does that do?"

A smile tugged at Thomas's lips for a second before he launched into explanation. "There's a whole legend that they can summon Divinity herself just by holding it and calling out to her. They're supposed to only work once, so you should save it when you need it the most."

I sucked in a breath. Of course they only work once. "And I'm assuming they're rare?"

Maybe I could use them to find my memories.

"Very rare," Thomas agreed. He paused for a moment, his gaze falling to his hands curled together in his lap. "I—uh, I personally don't believe in the legend myself, but I think you should hold on to it. Maria doesn't just go around giving away things for free."

I allowed myself a smile that quickly disappeared as Thomas brushed his hand against mine accidentally and instantly winced as he did so, taking in a sharp inhale. "What's wrong?" I demanded at his surprised face.

"You're freezing, Alexander!" he exclaimed.

"Oh? Am I?"

"You don't feel it?"

I shook my head in response, suddenly feeling self conscience. I didn't feel any different than I usually did.

Oh.

Well, that's not good.

Thomas held out his hand hesitantly, waiting for me to place my arm in it. I did so, equally as hesitant. A brief second passed before a tingling warmth spread through my body, a relief I didn't know I needed. I closed my eyes and took in a breath, the chilly air around me suddenly becoming more pronounced.

Thomas took his hand away from me slowly and let it fall to his lap. When I opened my eyes to peer up at him, he looked happier.

I'm really happy you aren't angry with me anymore. I didn't voice my thoughts, even though I wanted to.

A book appeared in Thomas's lap. The surprise wasn't as prominent to me anymore; I had gotten mostly used to the unnatural things that happened around me everyday. Thomas picked the book up, examining the cover, and handed it to me.