Ch. 2 - A Father's Promise

In the days following Misty's brutal death in childbirth, the coven was in mourning. Cordelia took it the hardest of course. Myrtle did everything she could to console her and get her mind off it – taking her out to have fancy dinners and drinks at the finest restaurants in town, taking her to the kitschy boutiques in the French Quarter, but nothing was a balm for her soul. She lost Misty for a third time. It was too much to handle. It was bad enough a deal had to be made due to the conditions of the underworld, but this was just not fair. The Supreme felt so selfish wanting Misty and her light nature around, but she also knew this was not fair for her either. Going to and from the underworld and being bound to it was hell on its own, let alone actually spending time down there.

Out of all the witches, Mallory spent the most time with the baby girl. Cordelia had elected to stay at the school, leaving her all alone for the task of nurturing her. Myrtle had booked a luxurious hotel suite for her and the baby to stay in safely. She was not given a name, although she was tempted to name her herself. Despite the newborn's demonic heritage, Mallory made the most of her time with the baby and even got a bit attached. She fed her, but she did not take well to formula – instead, she preferred cow or goat milk, or smoothies of blended raw offal. Mallory, upon discovering her appetite for raw organs, was creative with liver, gizzards, hearts, and even tongues to make these special smoothies and put them in bottles for the baby to easily consume. Of course, being a baby meant having to burp and fill a diaper. Mallory had to grin and bear doing both of these things and was even shocked at the results. The baby girl burped like a champ, as though her bottle was filled with Alka-Seltzer. The diapers were too much to imagine, given that she was fed pureed raw organs and either cow or goat milk through a bottle – some days, it even made Mallory retch with disgust.

It was about two weeks into this endeavor of safe-keeping that Mallory had run out of supplies, so she decided to go out of the hotel, baby in tow, to the butcher to get the organs she needed to nourish her. When she reached the destination, she made her order, only for the employee behind the counter to furrow his brows in shock.

"I need chicken hearts and gizzards," she ordered. "Oh, and livers with that, if you can. I also need a whole cow tongue."

"Miss, what exactly are you makin'?" the butcher asked with confusion. "May as well kill the thing yourself."

"Oh, just... a special version of paté," Mallory fibbed with a charming smile.

While waiting for the butcher to procure what she ordered, she paid for it with the cashier helping her. As she swiped the black titanium credit card Myrtle gave her, she felt as though a pair of eyes was watching her and the baby in her right arm. When she heard a happy coo come from the little girl, she turned to look at her and then back behind her only to see no one was there. Shrugging, she gathered what she purchased and walked out of the store. Yet all she could do was peer behind her shoulder every few houses she passed, and she could see the faint shadow of a tall man with long, shoulder-length blond hair and a fedora coming toward her. Without hesitating, she paged down the nearest taxi as soon as she could and hopped in without explaining a word to the cabbie.

"Ritz-Carlton," Mallory said. "Fast."