Ch. 11 - Growth

Michael's plans to repopulate the world as he knew it were astonishing successes – between the dates of November 10 and December 24 of that year, a total of seven babies were born in their particular sanctuary. Sarah was the first to give birth, and surprisingly, while it was a very rough labor given that the baby was half-demon, she survived the ordeal. The last to give birth on December 24 was Kate Blackwell; she did not survive the tough ordeal, bearing a daughter for the sanctuary. News of this came to Michael, as did news of the other births, and Misty was encouraged by him to take Melanie to the Clinic to help her hone her resurgence skills.

That afternoon, they made it to her hospital room, where Melanie nearly wretched at the scene – Kate was no longer in a birthing position, but instead laying flat on a gurney, her johnnie covered in rich red blood. A pallor came over her fair face, her full lips in a permanent pucker, and her brown hair lightly fanned out around her head, covered in a film of sweat from her labor. Some blood was freshly dried to the floor, and there was a 'Do Not Walk' sign propped up on the floor. A doctor was standing nearby, filling out a death notice when he heard footsteps coming into the room. He turned and gasped, seeing the Princess and the Queen standing there; they were dressed in black, but not in clothing suitable for a royal family.

"Your Excellencies," he bowed. "I didn't see you there, forgive me."

"It's alright," Misty said, looking over at the fresh corpse of the new mother on the gurney. She peered into the doctor's eyes and asked, "when did she..."

"Three hours ago, just about," the doctor said. "I'm just getting to her death notice now. It's been backed up."

"Hold off on that," Misty said intently, making him put the pen down and leave the form unattended. From here, she took it and tore it into two, putting it in the trash compactor. She looked at Melanie briefly: "bring her back."

The little girl walked over toward the gurney, making sure to not step on any blood. In fact, she was trying to find a spot on the floor where there wasn't any blood at all. She found it on the other side of the gurney and looked down at the young woman. She took in a deep breath and closed her eyes, putting both of her small hands on her head. She used the same strategy as before, visualizing white energy being exhaled from her lips as she tried to resurrect her. After roughly a minute and a half, Misty stepped in and helped her daughter achieve her goal; Melanie's hands were still on her forehead, while Misty placed hers over her heart and abdomen.

"Keep goin'," she encouraged.

With their joint efforts, Kate sprung back to life of Misty's intervention, jerking up and taking in a deep, wheezing breath as she looked around and started to cry. In an attempt to comfort her, the Queen put her arm over her subject's shoulders, and whispered words of encouragement.

"You've gone through a terrifyin' ordeal, but... you're safe now," she lulled.

"Where am I?" Kate asked.

"In the Clinic. You've been here for a bit now," Melanie explained. "Can I... get you some water?"

Kate looked at the Princess and nodded with gratitude: "yes...yes, please! Thank you, Your Infernal Highness."

She made her way over to the sink and took a sterile plastic cup from the dispenser on the wall, turning on the faucet with telekinesis and filling the cup with cold water. Turning it off with the same mechanism, she walked over to where her mother was comforting the new parent and held the water out to her. Kate took the water down as if her life depended on it.

"What is your name?" Misty asked.

"Kate Blackwell."

"And how old are you?"