Ch. 7 - Angels in Disguise

Mallory had led Melanie down the hall into the Gray's quarters, where she shared a wide dormitory-style bedroom with several others of her class. For added privacy, they went into the bathroom, where the little girl sat cross-legged on the tile floor. Mallory sat on the edge of the bathtub that the Grays shared in their communal bathroom. The little girl smoothed out her skirt and sighed; she had been in the closet like the other interviews she helped her father with, but with Mallory's she was intrigued at what she heard through the wide plank of wood that separated her from the happenings of the interview.

"Do you want to tell me how your interview went, Mallory?" the little girl asked, acting dumb.

"I don't know what happened," Mallory said nervously. "It was like... I was triggered. I had this, emotional response that I don't fully understand."

"Like... what?"

"I don't know how to explain it. I don't know if you'd understand."

Melanie raised both her pale eyebrows and scoffed; "you're kidding me." After a pause, she continued to speak, "I'm six and can read books at the adolescent level. I think I can understand what happened. Now, tell me."

Mallory sighed, speaking solemnly: "I feel like there is someone inside me just trying to claw its way out." I knew that, Melanie thought, staying silent, tell me what happened. "I set the room on fire."

"You did?"

"You did?"

"Yes. It could have been a blast from radiation but..." the Gray servant paused, "it did something, and now I'm like the Dark Phoenix."

"It was not radiation," Melanie affirmed. "Not likely, with the safety measures in these outposts. Did anything else happen?" She was fishing, trying to confirm if what she sensed was accurate.

"I...I'm sorry, but... I sent your father across the room," the Gray confessed. "I don't know how."

She is different. I KNEW IT! I wonder what this...aura is that I sense around her, Melanie thought to herself, her eyes widening silently up at the Gray.

"I knew it," she blurted. "You are different. You are not just made to serve like a pathetic slave. You were put on this earth for something greater."

"Please," Mallory said, "don't kiss my ass."

"That woman... she's different, too... she treats you horribly, doesn't she?" Melanie knew the answer to this from eavesdropping on her interview from the closet but asked to hide her cover.

"She does, yes," Mallory said. "She was getting a costume prepared for the masked soiree being held in the common room in a few days, and I was there. I tried to tell her about what happened with my interview, but she didn't believe me. She just berated me like I was nothing. I felt so worthless. I still do. I don't even know if your father is going to pick me to join the sanctuary."