Ch. 13 - Forbidden Fruit

At the precipice of dawn, Elijah made his way upstairs from the suite he had spent the night in with Melanie. He had offered to walk her back to the suite she shared with her family, but she declined.

"No, I can get there myself, thank you," she had said.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes, I am sure."

The entire walk up and elevator ride to his floor, he had been thinking about the night before – the Princess really was a princess in every sense of the word, exactly as he pictured it. She was an infernal goddess in the flesh, the subject of his devotion and worship. Her beauty mystified him, as did her sensual, supple skin, the sound of her moans as he touched and tasted her, and the way that even the smallest command asserted her dominance over him. His heart fluttered as she tried to enter the suite he shared with his mother, who he discovered was at the stove cooking breakfast. His eyes widened to see the flames around the frying pan were high enough to almost reach her face.

"Where have you been?" he heard her ask.

He sighed: "out."

"With who?" Mallory asked her son, not making eye contact with him as the flames died down. She turned the burner off on the stove and put pancakes on a plate for her son – they were his favorite. He sat down and took a bite before speaking. His mother soon joined him with her own plate, garnished with fresh-picked strawberries from the Queen and Princess' planting efforts.

 His mother soon joined him with her own plate, garnished with fresh-picked strawberries from the Queen and Princess' planting efforts

"A friend," she said vaguely.

"You've said that for the past week, Elijah," she said, averting her gaze from his. Looking into his eyes reminded her of a time she would have much rather not thought about. "Tell me who, please."

He was reluctant but was straightforward: "well... it's the Princess... H-Her Infernal Highness, mom."

Mallory's weary chocolate brown eyes widened to life, looking at her son gravely

Mallory's weary chocolate brown eyes widened to life, looking at her son gravely. He slowed down his fervent chewing of his breakfast and washed the contents down with a glass of water. The look in her eyes intimidated him a little, so she inquired what was wrong.