Ch. 8 - Salvation & Reunion

Misty could not believe her ears – while the party was ablaze downstairs in the outpost, Michael had resurrected her, hopefully for a final time, and explained everything that happened as best he could. He began with Miriam, telling her about how a robotic likeness was made of her and how she became so fond of Melanie as a granddaughter; how she had assisted him as a single parent during the earliest part of her life. He explained to her how nuclear holocaust had wiped out almost all of humanity save for the survivors of this and two other international outposts; how he had orchestrated it with the Cooperative because it was his purpose, as the Antichrist, to wipe the slate clean and start civilization anew. He talked about their daughter a little, but Misty was more concerned with and distraught at knowing the world practically ended.

"W-What is outside?"

"Nothing but radiation in the air and soil, feral cannibals, air in which if you breathed it without a suit and mask on, you would suffocate," he explained gravely.

Misty shook her head: "why? Why would you ruin such a beautiful creation as nature? So, you could... kill everyone off?"

"The world is ours to rule. This is exactly why I was put on this earth, and perhaps it is your purpose as well to rule by my side," he said fiercely with pride.

Misty shook her head and started to cry, realizing it was all starting to sink in: "you should'a kept me in Hell. I don't wanna live in a world like this... so much death... all rot and black..." She started to sob heavily, pouring her heart out into every cry and whine. "W-What 'bout Melanie? How has she been survivin' in all this mess?"

He put his hands on her shoulders and looked down at her as she sobbed: "she is a strong little girl. She is very stubborn and even a bit spoiled at times, but she is strong." He paused. "She's developed so... rapidly. It's more than I could ever imagine for someone of her age."

She let out a sob of concern for her daughter: "my poor girl... w-why did you remove that mirror from Hell?"

"Mirror?"

"The black mirror?" Misty reminded him. "Y-You put it up, so I can see what's goin' on up here. I know you took it away... but why?"

"I refused to make you feel uneasy that whole time in Hell if you knew what kinds of things were happening up here," he explained. "I did it to protect you, the same reason I didn't bring you back all this time. If you were brought back, you would have died in the blasts for sure."

"Cordelia... Zoe..." Misty muttered. "Stevie..." Her heart broke at the thought of her idol and friend, the White Witch. "Please tell me they're all alive!"

"No."

"WHAT?!"

"They died in the blasts, Misty," he confessed.