Ch. 15 - Who is John Vanderbilt?

"Have you and John always had a beef?"

Elijah had to sneak the Princess into his suite and into his room. They got heated and passionate, so they had to remain quiet as to not wake up his mother the night following the execution of Timothy and Emily Campbell. After they had sex, they were laying underneath the plain sheets of his bed. Her head rested on his chest, and he felt like he was in absolute heaven despite the subject matter being unpleasant for him. She felt his chest rise and fall as he sighed, making her look up at him for her response.

"Yes. Ever since we were little kids," he said. "Our mothers knew each other, more like my mother served his mother. Her name is Coco. She's okay, kind of a snob. In the old world, she was filthy rich."

From Outpost 3, the woman I resurrected. "I know who she is."

"You do?"

"Yeah, she was in Outpost 3. I was a kid at the time. She was killed by her boyfriend, who snuck into the outpost, but I brought her back," she explained.

"You can do that?" Elijah asked with an impressed smile.

"Yeah, so can you," she hinted. "Tell me, what has John done to you?"

"I am not one to get angry easily, but John boils my blood to no end. He is reckless, has no heart, only wants to fuck every girl he sees, and he is too caught up in his fast-lane lifestyle to care about anyone but himself," Elijah explained heatedly. "He's a prick, Princess." He paused. "I can describe so many incidents with him."

"Give me an example," she commanded.

Elijah sighed: "when we were two years old, he gave me a wedgie and set my pants on fire. He's got this ability to start fires with his mind, like I do."

"Pyrokinesis," she said.

"Yes. I almost died. I could have burned to death," he explained, leaving nothing out. "He wouldn't have cared, nor would his asshole friends. They're twin brothers, Axel and Hunter. Though, out of the two, Axel was the worst. Sadistic..." He trailed off. "They're both douchebags, though. The twins can do stuff, too. They can go place to place, as can John. Except they would toss things in the air at me. One time, all three of them teleported all around me so I couldn't escape, and they jumped me. They would taunt me... often I'd be covered in bruises."

"You didn't tell your mother?" Melanie inquired.

"I did, but there was not much she could do," he said sadly. "Part of me thinks she never wanted me, and thus didn't care enough to protect me." He paused again, thinking of what to say next. "Coco tried to stop her son from being a bully, but not even she could do something. She caught him beating or taunting me a few times and she intervened. That aside, not much was done. Do you remember the time I told you I almost burned this compound down?"

Melanie knew exactly what he was going to say next, so she completed his thought: "you were angered by either the twins or John, provoking your pyrokinesis?"