chapter twelve

THE NEXT MORNING I'm woken by the screech of my alarm, a small groan falling from my lips as I roll over and reach around the nightstand for it. A hum replacing the noise as Luke's hand slides over my waist, pressing his lips to my bare shoulder.

"It's too early," he mutters.

My lips curl up at the rasp in my voice as I turn my head to look at him. "I have to go to work," I tell him, but make no effort to get out of bed. There's a heavy weight over my chest like this may be too good to be true, but then I feel the warmth of his skin on mine as he leans over and presses his lips to my cheek and then my lips.

"Play hooky with me," he says, tracing circles over my bare waist.

I shake my head. "I can't."

"Yes, you can. It's real easy," he tells me, moving his fingers over the small of my back. "You just stay right here with me and you don't leave."

"You'd like that, wouldn't you?"

He grins. "You know I would."

Pinching his chin between my fingers, I lean forward and kiss him. "Sorry, but I have to go be sexy and successful."

He playfully gasps as he rests his hand over his chest, rolling onto his back as I crawl out of bed. I bite down on my bottom lip to hide the smile on my lips as I cross my room to my closet, pulling out a pair of dress pants and a sleeveless mock neck. And when I get back from slicking my hair back into a ponytail, Luke's sitting up with his back pressed to my headboard.

He grins. "How do you get sexier every time I see you?"

"It's my superpower," I say, sneaking a peek at my alarm clock. "I have to go."

"Is that your way of kicking me out?"

My lips curl up as I shake my head and kneel on the edge of my bed, leaning over to steal another kiss. "No, but I'm going to be late," I tell him, tangling my fingers in the ends of his hair. "Just make sure to lock the knob behind you."

"Have a good day, sexy," he hums and leans back into the bed. It feels too real to be true as I walk into my living room, grabbing my keys after slipping into my coat. Luke lingers on my skin as I step onto the sidewalk outside our building at the same time my phone vibrates in my pocket, distracting my stray thoughts.

Wren's name displays on my screen when I pull it out. "Hi Wren."

"Hey," he says. "I just wanted to call and apologize about last night."

"You have nothing to apologize for," I assure him. "I'm sorry I left so abruptly."

"No, it's fine," he says. "I completely understand. I should have said something more when Mom invited them to join us. I just­–"

"You just nothing," I tell him. "Charlie worming his way into every part of my life has nothing to do with you, Wren. And I really am so excited for you about Arizona."

"Thanks, Em," he says. "You know, I think you should tell mom and dad the real reason you and Charlie broke up. They'd stop inviting them to things."

"Yeah, I know they would," I say with a sigh. "Which is why I haven't. Just because Charlie's an ass doesn't mean mom and dad should stop seeing his parents."

"It's not fair to you."

"But it's my decision," I tell him. "The only reason I told you is because you wouldn't let it go," I inform him. "I'm fine though, I promise. Charlie will eventually get the message."

"You shouldn't have to still put up with him."

"Yeah, I know," I say as I make my way onto the subway platform. "I'm about to get on the subway, so I have to let you go."

"Emery."

"We'll talk later, Wren," I say. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

The doors to my train slide open as I slip my phone back into my pocket and step on, relieved when I see my usual seat empty. I know Wren's right and that I shouldn't have to put up with Charlie. Maggie and Zane have told me the same thing, over and over again, but the White's are two of my parents closest friends and the thought of disrupting their lives because of Charlie's arrogance seems selfish. And no matter how frustrating Charlie can be, eventually he'll lose interest. He always does. It's just a matter of when.

The office is fairly quiet for Monday, but I know as I step off the elevator and into the lobby that not everyone is as early to work as I am. But they don't get to experience the office like this with the silence as the sun lifts into the floor to ceiling windows, filling the floor with natural light.

It's breathtaking.

"Morning Wheeler," Clark says as he steps out of his office, spotting me. "How are you doing?" he asks, walking towards me with the collection of papers in his hands.

"I'm good," I say as I straightening the strap of my bag on my shoulder. "I'm a little nervous about sharing a new book I found in the Monday meeting," I share, squeezing my fingers together out of nervous habit.

"You and I both know that you have an eye for this, Emery," he says. "If you think it's good, then it likely is. You have good judgement."

"Yeah, it's just that this was picked off the discard pile," I explain, knowing that we usually avoid the pile of rejects, but every once in a while when I'm in a reading slump, I pick one up. It's extremely rare that it's ever something I bring to a Monday meeting. "It was submitted anonymously and without an agent which I know can be a little difficult."

"That can be a difficult curve to go down, but if you're passionate about it than that shouldn't stop you from sharing it," he says. "I look forward to hearing about it."

My lips curl up knowing that Clark has always been my biggest cheerleader. He trusts my judgement and that means more than he'll probably ever know. "Thank you," I say as I reach for the door handle of my office. "I'll see you in there?"

He nods, continuing on his way as I shut my office door and just as quickly as it shuts, it opens again. I turn on my toes as I peel my coat off, my eyes widening at the urgent look on Maggie's face as she shuts the door behind her.

And before I can even part my lips, she blurts out, "I think I'm pregnant."