chapter twenty-eight

WHEN I WAS younger, I used to daydream about the kind of person I would be when I was all grown up. I wanted to be the kind of person who could stand on her own, and for a while I was failing at that. Charlie was my downfall until he wasn't. Until I was forced into finding my own strength but my biggest dream was finding someone who matched my ambition.

I found that in Charlie, but he wouldn't accept it in me. He saw my ambition, my need for success as weakness. If I wasn't second to him, I was damaged and it took too long to realize it wasn't true. It was never true, but as I stand here, watching the smile on Luke's face as his voice carries across the crowd, I can't help the adoration that fills my chest.

He shares my ambition through and through, and he doesn't see it as weakness. He encourages it. He admires it and right now, as I stand here, watching his dream coming to fruition in front of me, I can't help but share in that excitement. He's so close to having his dreams and I can't help the smile that hasn't left my face since we stepped foot on the roof.

Despite the time of year, California is warm in comparison to New York. Even all the way up here with the entire world at the tips of my fingers. I don't mind the warm breeze that grazes my skin as I stand at the edge of the crowd and watch in awe of him. It doesn't matter that this is a professional event. Every single person is captivated by him. Every set of eyes landed on him as he pulls them in with the smooth tone of his voice.

He was made for this.

There isn't an ounce of doubt in my mind that he won't be walking away tonight with all of his dreams laid out on a silver platter. He came here to prove he had something special and the gravitation of the crowd towards the stage set up along the side of the roof proves it. He won over everyone's affection in this room. The way I knew he would.

When their set finishes, my lips curl up as he finds my eyes in the crowd of people. He hurries down the steps of the stage and heads in my direction, but before he can reach me, he's intercepted by important people in suits. The people that will get him places and I can't help the happiness that blooms in my chest at the excitement on their faces at the chance to talk to him.

I take a step back, taking in the fast pace lifestyle as I find my way to a quiet corner of the roof. As I take in the skyline, watching it for lights, I reach into my bag and pull my phone out. It's way past midnight in New York and my lips curl up at Maggie's excited texts, wishing me a happy New Year while piecing together what's happened in the last few days with what information she has. All of which are outrageous and outlandish, but it brings a smile to my face as I press her contact and bring the phone to my ear.

"Happy New Year, Emmy!" Maggie answers the phone with a slight slur in her voice.

"You sound like you're having fun," I say as I turn, watching the crowd. I find Luke engrossed in a conversation with Vince and for a second, he finds my eyes. My lips curl up as I lift my hand and give him a small wave, butterflies brushing my ribcage when he flashes me a smile. The same smile that used to drive me crazy, but now it's for an entirely different reason.

"Is this when you tell me what the hell happened? I was gone for like a week."

"I'll owe you the long version when I get home," I promise. "Short version is Luke was going to spend Christmas alone, so I invited him to join my family in Milton and I finally screwed my head on straight."

"And Los Angeles?"

"He got approached by a talent scout the day before yesterday and they invited the band to come and preform at this thing..." I trail off, "Mags, he's amazing."

"Where is he?"

"Being swooned over," I say.

"And let me guess, you're standing all by yourself in the corner?" she asks.

"Yes, but that's only cause he deserves to be the center of attention," I tell her. "I'm happy just to watch him be a rock star."

"You're so smitten, aren't you?"

I bite my bottom lip at the swell of happiness. "So smitten."

"I'm so glad you're letting yourself be happy," she says. "You deserve this kind of happiness. I was worried you weren't ever going to see that."

"Yeah, it took too long." I sigh.

"Doesn't matter," she says. "It's here now and that's all that matters," she tells me before waiting a beat. "When are you coming home?"

"Our flight is tomorrow night as of right now," I say. "I'll let you know if that changes."

"Okay, I love you," she says. "Happy New Year, Em."

"Happy New Year, Mags," I hum in response before the line goes dead. My lips staying curled up as I study the blank screen before tucking it into the front pocket of my purse rested against my hip. Only a second pasts before I feel to hands on my hips as they wrap around me, the familiarity of his touch easing me back into his chest as he leans his head against mine.

"What are you doing all alone in the corner?" Luke asks.

"Just giving you your moment to shine, rock star," I tell him as I rest my head back against his shoulder. My hands move over his arms, resting on his forearms.

"Thank you," he whispers before pressing his lips to my hair, "but all I want is you."

My fingers curl gently into his arm, tightening my grip. "You were incredible up there."

"Yeah? You think they liked it?"

"They loved it."

I feel his lips curl up as his skin moves against my hair. "This is quite the view."

"Yeah," I say as I lean into him, moving my hands over the linen fabric covering his arms. "It not New York though."

"It doesn't snow in Los Angeles," he argues.

"I like the snow."

"Of course, you do," he says with a laugh. "How about this? We're spend our winters in New York and summers in Los Angeles."

"I don't know," I hum. "I'm not sure I like Los Angeles."

"Then Malibu," he offers. "We'll get a big house for all our kids."

"Oh?" I ask as a grin creeps onto my lips and lean my head back enough to catch his eye. "We're talking kids now, are we?"

He nods. "Six."

"Six?" I gasp and twist in his arms to face him. "How about you let the one that has to carry them decide how many we have."

He grins. "Four?"

"I think, I could handle four," I say. "I didn't know you wanted so many kids."

"I didn't either," he admits as his fingers brush over the nape of my neck. "I think I just want a bunch of you."

I grin. "What if I want little rock stars?"

"All our kids are going to be rock stars," he says with a grin. "Insanely ambitious rock stars and book nerds."

"I like this future," I say with a smile.

"Yeah? Good," he says as his thumb brushes my lips. "I want every version of it with you. Doesn't matter what happens as long as you're there."

"That sounds like a big commitment."

"I'm in this for the long haul, 4A," he says. "You're it."

My lips curl up as I lean on my toes and find his lips as the outside noise fades away. His arms wrap around me and everything makes sense. Neither of us even paying attention to the countdown when it starts, because we're here and we're with each other. I feel it in his lips as they press to mine. A promise without words.

We're in this together.