Chapter 4

Emily was sitting outside of Aria's house and had been debating for twenty minutes whether or not to go in. Hanna had said to leave it alone but now that they all knew she just couldn't. Sighing she finally exited the car and walked up to Aria's door. She took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

Ella Montgomery answered and smiled at her. "Oh, hi Emily."

Emily returned the smile. "Hi, Aria and I have Calculus together and I just wanted to bring her the assignment she missed today."

"Sure, she's upstairs you can take it to her." Ella said stepping out of the way to let Emily in.

Emily made her way upstairs to Aria's room. Aria was standing at the mirror on her closet door putting earrings in when Emily knocked on the door frame. Aria looked at her through the mirror and smiled. "Hey, Emily."

Emily held up the Calculus book. "Hey, brought you homework."

"Joy." Aria said sarcastically. She turned to face Emily and held out her arms. "So how do I look?"

"Uh, you look great." Emily replied setting the book down on Aria's desk and going over to sit on her bed.

Aria looked at her concerned. "Hey, Em you okay?"

Emily hesitated before looking at Aria and sighing. "Look Aria, about Zach-"

Aria rolled her eyes. "I see you talked to Hanna."

Emily stood up. "Yes and I believe her. Why don't you?"

Aria crossed her arms. "Are you serious? Emily just the other day Spencer said you had to pull a krispie treat out of Hanna's hair and you're asking me why I don't believe her."

"Just because she was drunk Aria doesn't mean it didn't happen." Emily replied angrily. "Hanna would never lie about something like that and you know it."

"Something like what?"

Both girls turned to see Aria's mom in the doorway. "What wouldn't Hanna lie about?" Ella asked. Emily looked at the ground and Aria just stood there wide eyed and silent. "Aria?"

Aria looked to Emily then back to her mom. "I-it's nothing."

Emily grabbed Aria's arm causing Aria to look at her. "I know you don't want to believe it Aria but just think for a second. Do you want to risk it? Is that who you want your mom to spend the rest of her life with?" She whispered.

Aria looked at Emily before sighing and giving a small nod. She turned to her mom. "Mom, I have to tell you something. It's about Zach. Look I don't know for sure if it's true or not bu-"

"Aria was Zach inappropriate with you?" Ella interrupted her daughter.

Aria looked at her a little shocked. "Wha...no. Not with me." She paused and Ella looked at her expectantly. Aria swallowed. "But...he might have been with Hanna." Ella looked at Aria and Emily before stepping into the room. "Mom, why did you immediately go there?" Aria asked confused.

Ella took a deep breath trying to fight back tears. "Umm, something happened before we came here. I guess I just tried to see it as cold feet."

Aria looked to Emily then back to her mom. "I'm so sorry mom."

Ella sighed letting a few tears fall. "Me too." She said backing out of the room.

Emily stepped over to Aria and put a hand on her arm. "You okay?"

Aria shook her head. "No. But can you take me to Hanna's? I owe her a massive apology."

Emily nodded. "She's with Caleb but I'll drive you." Aria smiled her thanks and after checking on her mom, who didn't want Aria or Emily to be there when she talked to Zach, the girls were on the road.