Chapter 9

Emily sighed glancing at the clock on the wall at the Brew. She had started working there again once Zach was for sure gone and not coming back. Last thing she wanted to do was run into the creep who had put the moves on her girlfriend. Emily smiled to herself. Girlfriend. It had been a week since her and Hanna officially got together and things were going great. Well other than Alison that is. Alison's dad had taken her out of town the day after he found out Cyrus had escaped custody and they weren't supposed to be back for another three days. But that didn't stop Alison from constantly texting and calling Emily. Emily ignored them all but she knew it still bothered Hanna. She reassured her over and over again that she didn't want to talk to Alison but she knew that a part of Hanna still feared that one day Emily would and she would give Alison another chance.

Emily was pulled out of her thought by the sound of someone clearing their throat. She looked up to see Caleb standing there with a small smile on his face. Uh oh. Emily hadn't seen or spoken to Caleb since Hanna had ended things with him. Because of her. And now her and Hanna were dating. Emily tried her best to smile back and Caleb could tell she was nervous.

"H-hi." Emily said shuffling from foot to foot, awkwardly holding a pitcher of water in one hand.

Caleb nodded. "Hi."

Silence. They both just looked at each other not knowing what to say.

"Can I get you anythi-" "Look I didn't come here t-" They both spoke at the same time. They laughed and Caleb rubbed the back of his neck embarrassed while Emily looked down at the counter slightly shaking her head.

Caleb sighed then looked at Emily. "I didn't come here to confront you or make you feel uncomfortable. I didn't even know if you were still working here."

Emily smiled. "I didn't think you were coming here for that. You're too good of a guy to do anything like that."

Caleb smiled back. There was another awkward silence before he cleared his throat again. "Um, how's Hanna?"

"She's good." Emily replied. She thought about the past week and tried desperately to contain her grin. "Really good."

"You're together." It wasn't a question.

Emily's eyes widened. "Uh...we uh...w-"

"Emily relax." Caleb said briefly putting his hand on her shoulder. "It's okay. I'm cool. I just want to make sure she's happy."

Emily released a breath and glanced apologetically at Caleb. "I'm sorry Caleb. We didn't plan for this to happen. It just kind of...did."

Caleb nodded. "I know. You don't have to apologize. Like I told Hanna, you can't help who you love. And if I was going to lose her to anyone I'm glad it was you. You're a great person and I know how much you love her."

Emily tilted her head. "How do you know?"

Caleb smirked. "Your face says it all. I used to look like that all the time. I know it when I see it."

Emily blushed and Caleb laughed. She gave him a grateful smile. "Thank you Caleb. You really are a good guy."

Now it was Caleb's turn to blush. "Well I'm not so sure about that but you're welcome."

Emily blinked then realized since Caleb didn't come there to talk to her he probably actually wanted to order something. She shook her head. "Oh sorry, did you want to order something?"

"Uh yeah just a couple of turkey sandwiches to go thanks." Caleb replied.

"Coming right up." Emily went into the back a a few minutes later she came back out and handed Caleb a brown paper bag. "Here you go."