🌟Chapter 8🌟

"What time did you get home?" I was being interviewed by a young deputy. Jasper had brought me some clothes to put on while he called the police. He was in the living room talking to another officer. To avoid questions we'd told them that he'd been downstairs when he heard the crash. I knew he was listening to my statement even though he was four rooms away. I hadn't been injured by any of the glass which seemed like a miracle considering I'd been right next to the window.

"A little after eight I guess," I told the cop.

"And you didn't notice anything strange at that time?"

"No."

"What were you doing when this incident occurred?"

"I was trying to get a fire going. I'd just gotten out of the shower and it was cold. If I'd been standing up the brick would've hit me."

He scribbled my response into a notebook even though he was also was recording this conversation with an app on his phone. "Do you believe that this person knew you could of been hurt?"

I nodded. "Yes, they would have been able to see my shadow on the curtains. It was almost immediately after I bent down that the glass shattered."

"Do you have any idea who could have done this?"

I shook my head. "No. But my parents, Jean and Dimitri Halliwell, they got threats against the family not too long ago. I don't know it might be related."

"Where are your parents now?"

"On vacation in Spain. I haven't had time to tell them about this. I have their number I'll give it to you."

"That would be helpful." The officer closed the notebook and picked up his phone.

"Also Sheriff Forbes knows about the threats. My parents asked him to check in on me from time to time. I don't know if he started an investigation or anything."

"I'll contact him in the morning. In the mean time if you remember more or anything else happens here's my card."

When they were gone I left a message for Pure Wendigo Glass asking for someone to come by as soon as possible and replace the window, then went to clean up the mess. Jasper had already taken care of it. His sharp eyes probably having seen even the smallest shard. He also had taped some plastic over the window. I went into the walk-in closet and changed into my regular nightgown.

"Thank you," I said as I came back into my bedroom.

"None needed, darlin'." His eyes took me in hungrily. I realized that my knee length spaghetti strap gown was probably something he wasn't used to seeing women in.

"Should I change?"

"Only if my lookin' makes you uncomfortable."

"And I thought you were a gentleman," I jokingly scoffed.

"I be, just not now."

"I believe hundreds of years among Yankees has diluted your southern charm, Major."

"Never," he claimed with his accent at it's absolute thickest and at the same time giving me a heavily sultry look.

I glanced at the window behind him and grabbed my pillow. "I'm not sleeping in here." I led him down the hall to my parents bedroom. In addition to mine and the master we had three more bedrooms in the house, but they weren't made up just now, and the couch always gave me a back ache. I threw their pillows onto the vanity and made myself comfortable. Jasper walked around the room looking at all the pictures of me and my parents. "Do you want to come to bed," I asked from the covers.