🌟Chapter 13🌟

"Are you sure about this? We should go back and get him some cool toys." Brandon was looking down at the books, notebooks, pens and pencils, among other learning supplies that took up our cart with a dubious look on his face. My intended Christmas presents for Sean weren't Brandon's notion of ideal gifts for a little kid.

    I nodded confidently. "Sean really wants to learn. He's thirsty for knowledge and I think these will make great gifts for him. Besides not all of them are for him. I thought it would be nice if we learned together. A bonding experience." I was confident this was going to be great. Even if I didn't learn as much Spanish as I wanted, being together would be good.

    "There's nothing wrong with that but he's also a kid, Theo. You remember recess, right? A belief that kids need fun as well as academic stimulation."

    "Of course."

    Brandon snorted and shook his head. "Almost half the time you sat on top of the jungle gym reading or drawing star charts."

    "That's not true," I scoffed.

    "Yes, it is. Come on, we're going to get him some toys too," he took off toward the toy aisles. I told Brandon no Ninja Turtle stuff. Sean had a lot of that already and I knew our parents were planing to extend that collection. I picked out board games, puzzles, and a hot wheel track with various cars. Brandon added light sabers, a giant talking Darth Vader and then stopped by the movie section to pick up the entire saga collection. I wanted to buy all except The Rise of Skywalker but Brandon said we couldn't just break open the package and rip that mess out. He did agree with me that Episode IX was horrible, though, so I let him win. He insisted that Indiana Jones was also a necessary series for any boy, so that went in our cart along with Star Trek: The Original Series and Avatar The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra. Sean would be entertained for several weeks with great media. 

    We were in pretty good moods as we left until we saw who stood waiting for us leaning against Brandon's truck. Riley. Brandon and I looked at him not sure what to do. I felt like I could almost read Brandon's mind. He was torn between happiness to see Riley and distain for his brothers treatment of me. Riley's gaze was solely on me and I couldn't read it. His arms were crossed defensively across his chest and he looked haggard.

    "Riley." I spoke first, surprised my voice didn't shake either from anger for his actions or the concern I felt over his appearance. There were dark circles under his eyes and he'd lost some weight. Not enough to make him look extremely unhealthy but it was for sure noticeable.

    "You're being stalked," was his response. Brandon and I shared a quick glance. "I know who put that brick through your window last month."

    "Theo what's he talking about?" Brandon asked.

    "Are you going to tell me who did it?" I tried to keep my voice level but failed slightly.

    "No," he said firmly while crossing his arms over his chest.

    I rolled my eyes. "Then what's the point Riley? Why are you here?"

    "Theo, what's this about a brick?" Brandon demanded.

    "After I got home on Thanksgiving someone threw a brick through my bedroom window," I explained quickly.

    Brandon pointed a finger at his brother. "And you know who did it? Riley you better start talking."

    Riley shook his head away briefly before turning steely eyes on us. "I don't want the person who did it to get in trouble. I just came to warn you that there's people who aren't happy with your family."

    "I already know that! Are you going to tell me who they are? By the way I have a brother now. He's just a little kid so you better tell whoever's behind the threats to back off."

    Riley raised one eyebrow. "What the hell are you talking about? Everyone knows your parents can't have more kids."

    "They adopted. Funny what you miss when you turn into a dick isn't it?"

    Riley pushed himself off the truck and got right in my face. Brandon went to stand between us but Riley shoved him hard and Brandon went down in the snow with a pained grunt.

    "You could have picked up a phone little miss perfect," Riley hissed.

    I wanted to slap him but my hands remained at my sides, balled into fists. "Why would I call you when you're the one who needs to apologize?"

    Instead of answering Riley grabbed my face and planted a hard kiss on me. His left hand slid down from my face and made a path to my waist. I shoved against him with all the strength I had, but his hold on me just tightened. Brandon got him off me, but unfortunately Riley's right hand had tangled itself in my hair, and the force Brandon used to separate us ripped a strand of hair from my scalp.

    "Ouch!" I yelped. My hand flew to my throbbing head. On Riley's gaudy class ring dangled my blond hair. If I had a noticeable bald spot I was going to kill him.

    "You are out of line, bro! You know she has a boyfriend." Brandon's raised voice drew attention from other people in the parking-lot.

    "So what!" Riley sneered at him.

    "Riley what has gotten into you?" I demanded as i fought tears of pain and hurt. "It isn't the end of the world that I don't have romantic feelings for you." Riley looked more upset at my words than I expected. My eyes flooded with tears from the stinging on my head.

    "Is there a problem here, kids?" Sheriff Forbes got into the middle of our angry triangle. He wasn't on the job since he was dressed in his civilian clothes.

    "No, I was just leaving," Riley turned his back on us and walked toward the road where he got into a car and sped off.

    "Miss Halliwell are you okay?" The Sheriff addressed me but his eyes remained on the rapidly disappearing car.

    "I'm fine. I'm just going to get in the truck." The Sheriff and Brandon quickly put everything in the back of the truck while I confirmed that I did in fact have a small bald spot. Seeing red I quickly redid my hair so my mom wouldn't notice when I got home. My parents didn't need to know about this. Brandon was limping. Next time I saw Riley I was gonna-

    "Theo," Brandon pulled me into a hug. I cried into his shoulder. "People are still staring, let's get outta here." I nodded and slumped back in my seat. My parents weren't home which was good. My make-up had run thanks to the stupid waterworks. I went to the kitchen to splash some water on my face before going to help with the load. Brandon had somehow already grabbed everything and the bags were scattered around the living room. He sat on my couch holding his head in his hands sobbing.

    "Brandon," my voice broke. I pulled him into a hug and let him cry. "I'm sorry." I wished I knew what else to say.