🌟Chapter 26🌟

Shirl drove us up to the observatory. It was a Sunday so the place was closed but we weren't going for any of the exhibits. What we wanted was the view. On one side we could overlook town, on the other a large expanse of woods, and in the middle the waterfall. Some days rainbows would form if the light was right. Today wasn't that day. As usual the weather was a comfortable sixty—five and cloudy.

    We spread a blanket on the small grassy spot and laid out the food we brought. As seniors we'd had our last day of high school on Friday and now it was two weeks until graduation.

    "This year hasn't been what I'd thought it'd be," Shirl said while throwing a tiny rock over the side of the ledge.

    "I know. I pictured the four us taking a picture in front of the school throwing our caps."

    "Or jumping off trampolines like the end of Grease 2?" she teased. She blew a strand of curly black hair away from her face. "I decided to change my plans."

    "For the party?" I asked while biting into a strawberry.

    "That too but I was talking about my college plans. I'm not going to go for sports medicine."

    "Shirley that's all you've wanted to do since we were twelve." That happened to be the year Brandon had broken his arm during football. We'd accompanied Brandon to the hospital and the doctor was kind enough to show us the x-rays. It was there Shirley's fascination with the human body was born. That day also ended Brandon's love of football. While his arm was broken he dived into mystery novels which lead to his desire to be a policemen. Or so it seemed to me at least.

    "I know but the last few months have got me thinking that I could do more as a psychiatrist. With everything that's happened with Riley and how it's effected Brandon...I haven't known what to say or do. When I try to help it seems like I just make things worse. If I were trained I wouldn't be like this next time. And I could help other people who are going through similar situations."

    "Shirley, that's really noble but are you sure? I mean, how do you know this isn't just a fleeting feeling and in ten years you'll regret it?"

    She shrugged her shoulders. "I'm not saying that won't happen but I really think this is something I have to do. And about the party, well I'm canceling it. I just don't feel up to it. In fact after graduation I've booked a stay at a spa until July."

    I put my hand on her shoulder. "You know nothing that happened with Brandon was your fault, right? And you can't stay at a spa for a month. Even you would get bored."

    Shirley squirmed and I withdrew my hand. She started to pull up individual blades of grass and twist them together. In a shocking turn of events for the social scene of Wendigo, Brandon and Shirley had decided to take a break. I wasn't totally clear why and they both were reluctant to talk about it.

    She changed the subject. "What about you? Did you get that job?"

    "I don't know yet. Shirley–"

    "I hope you do," she cut me off. "After I get back we can spend the summer together. Or better yet you could come with me. If you get that job you don't have to be in Texas until school starts." Her words came out faster as if she was afraid I would stop her. "You know, I'm really happy that you've gotten so many opportunities to live out your dreams but it's really put distance between us. It's like you have two lives the one in Texas and here. I don't want us to be those friends who drift apart after high school and only see each other at reunions."

    I scoffed. "That won't happen."

    She sighed. "It's already started. It's not just you either. I bear some of the guilt. Since Brandon and I got together I've spent more and more time with him."

    "That's how romantic connections work."

    "But there should be a limit. My life shouldn't completely revolve around him."

    "It doesn't, uh, didn't. You've never been like that in any of your romances. You're being too hard on yourself, Shirley."

    "You're wrong."

    "No."

    "Not about me being too hard on myself. Well, maybe, I don't know. But about what happened with me and Brandon. It is kind of my fault. Riley came to see me. Before he took off, he showed up at my house asking for money. I wouldn't give it to him. He got scary."

    "Did he hurt you?"

    "No. David, our butler heard the commotion and he and some others threw Riley out. I didn't tell Brandon. Not until after we found out Riley got that bus ticket. I'm not sure but I think Brandon blames me. Like maybe he thinks I could have convinced Riley to stay."

    "That's ridiculous! Did he say that to you?"

    "No, of course not. But," she had tears in her eyes, "if he doesn't I think that maybe it's true. That I could have done something to keep him here."

    "Shirley." I put an arm around her. "Riley is responsible for his own actions. We don't know what but you know there was something going on with him long before this. If he wanted our help he should have come to us earlier and we would have helped him, instead he turned into a dick. God only knows what the hell his problem is and whatever it is, it's certainly not your fault."

    Shirley didn't look convinced. She didn't break down into full on sobbing but tears ran down her face for a while. I held her and glared at the waterfall. I decided then that if I didn't get the job with Eliza I would turn down the internship.

    Shirley was right. I had kept my life here and the one in Texas kind of separate. I was gone right after the school year ended and didn't come back until after it started again. Plus I wasn't the best at keeping in touch with my friends here while I was down there. If I had been more present would any of this of happened? It was a question I couldn't answer.

    But one thing was clear, my life had fallen apart a bit as far as my friendships were concerned. Shirley needed me and I couldn't just leave her like this, especially when I wouldn't be coming back from my internship because I'd be starting school. Three months. I had three months to figure this out and and fix it. And by God I was going to do it come hell or high water.