🌟 Chapter 36 🌟

Trigger warnings: this chapter contains domestic abuse, violence against women, and many cuss words. If any of that is a problem for you, you may want to skip everything after the asterisks (*).

    "This is ridiculous," Shirley shivered. "The sun is out, it's 38 degrees and June damnit!" 

    I pulled my coat around me tighter. I thought I'd retired it for summer but this cold front seemed never ending. It was even dropping into the negatives at night. We were on our way to a cafe hoping to go over course loads and dresses for Shirley. I pulled into the parking lot, teeth chattering. The heater in my truck had quit halfway down here and I couldn't wait to get inside for warmth. Before I had even put the truck in park, Shirley flung the door open and scurried inside. Somehow she'd also managed to lug all our stuff during her mad dash.

    Shirley claimed a table while I ordered. By the time our drinks were ready Shirley had spread the agenda all over the table. The place was nearly empty but that wasn't surprising this time of day. Fabric samples that Alice had sent over were the first order of business.

    "You don't have a color scheme? At all?"

    "There won't be much decorating going on. Jasper and I are getting married outside," I reminded her. "And the reception will be too. Just pick a color you like and Alice will whip up a masterpiece. How many of these classes do you have to take?" I pulled out the textbooks she'd already bought and list of electives and mandatory classes.

    We'd been there for two hours and were on our third or fourth cups of hot chocolate and or tea, when a loud screech brought all conversations to a halt. A dark blue Ford F-150 turned sharply into a parking space and nearly didn't stop in time to avoid hitting the building. Our table was right in front of the big window that faced the street and we, like everyone else, were momentarily frozen in shock.

***********************************

    Margie Redmen got out of the passenger side, slamming the door behind her. Her hair was messy and black lines of mascara ran down her face as she ugly cried. Margie began to walk away. A huge linebacker type jumped out from the driver seat and grabbed her arm, trying to yank her back to the truck.

    "DON'T WALK AWAY FROM ME!" The guy was red faced and his veins were popping making him look even more intimidating.

    "Let go." She said something we couldn't hear but whatever it was royally pissed the guy off. He let go of her arm only to slap her hard. Margie's knees buckled and she cradled her face that would most certainly have a mark for a few days. Then he started screaming at her again.

    "Fuck no." I pushed myself away from the table and I heard Shirl follow me.

    "You'll just make it worse," someone called. A man I noted but I ignored him. Shirley flipped him the bird as I flung open the door and we stepped out into the cold sunlight.

    "Hey asshole." My voice was filled with rage and the guy actually jumped. He glanced at us and must have determined we weren't much of a threat because he turned his attention back down to Margie.

    "This doesn't concern you," he growled. Margie's sobbing was louder out here even though she was clearly trying to hide it. Shirl bent down and took Margie by the shoulders whispering in her ear.

    "Leave," I demanded.

    "F-f-fuck you, Trent." Margie managed through tears.

    "What the hell did you say?" Trent took a step forward but Shirley managed to pull Margie to her feet and several steps back until they were both behind me. Trent tried to follow but I got in his way. From the window of the cafe I saw several employees, and the few customers, pull out phones and start recording instead of helping or calling authorities.

    "Get back in your truck. I'm calling the police," Shirley said behind me.

    "Listen, bitch, what happens between me and my wife is none of your concern."

    "I'm not your wife yet and I won't ever be, you bastard!" Margie's voice sounded stronger but I could tell she was still crying. A flash of yellow flew over my shoulder and as it bounced off Trent's forehead, I saw it was a ring. Trent's nostrils flared and he turned even redder.

    He surged forward. Normally I wouldn't have been able to do anything. But Trent's full attention was on Margie behind me so he wasn't expecting the shove I gave him. Luckily I also caught him mid-step, so it was easier for someone of my small stature and lesser strength to expend enough force to send him to the ground. Trent was momentarily stunned but that wouldn't last forever. My heart began to hammer painfully in my chest as I fought to keep from shaking. His eyes turned into twin black holes filled with hate and now seemed to see nothing but me.

    I wanted to run but my feet seemed rooted to the cement. The sunlight not doing anything to warm the day anyway grew even colder.

    "Theo run! Theo run!" Shirley screamed just as Trent jumped back up and reached for me.

    Oh why, why did I ever quit Jasper's self defense lessons? Immediately everything he'd tried to teach me came rushing back but it was all so jumbled that it was useless. Even if I did remember anything I hadn't thrown myself into those lessons as hard as I could have.

    Panic filled me as he raised his fist and I closed my eyes waiting for the blow to fall. With a roar Shirley barreled into me and tackled me to the ground. The blow caught her in the shoulder on our way down and she grunted painfully. Now an even more pissed Trent was standing over both of us wearing the most evil sneer I'd ever seen on a human being. Shirley and I reached for each other shivering with fear.

    "Trent stop!" Margie screamed. Trent raised his foot as if to stomp on us. I pulled myself over Shirley trying to save her from additional injuries. It was the best I could do. No way would I be able to get her away in time. As if in slow motion, I saw Margie bend down and unlace her heels. She held them stiletto points out and rushed forward. Trent's foot was about to meet my thigh when someone grabbed him from behind and flung Trent into the hood of his truck. Margie stopped a foot or so away and gasped.

    Standing in the bright cold daylight was Jasper, skin not sparkling. Police sirens began to be heard in the distance but Trent either didn't care or didn't hear. He took a swing at Jasper while dropping every expletive known to man in the English language. Jasper grabbed his wrist, pulled him forward, kicked at the back of Trent's knees and forced him to the ground. Jasper pinned both Trent's arms and sat on him to await the cops arrival.

    "Are you two alright?" Jasper asked his voice in a tone I had never heard him use before. Jasper's eyes never left the back of Trent's head as if he were trying to bore a hole through his skull.

    "My shoulder," Shirley groaned. "He got my shoulder," she squeaked painfully as I moved off her. Jasper snarled and I saw his fingers dig into Trent's arm which made him yelp.

    "Shirley I'm so sorry." Tears ran down both our faces as I tried to make her comfortable. Margie dropped her weaponized heels and did her best to help us.