🌟Chapter 30🌟

"Mom do you know where Sean's sneakers are?"

"Try Dad's study. Sean fell asleep in there last night." Juggling Sean's full backpack, my iPad, a water bottle, and my own bag while walking down the stairs wasn't easy. Every time I moved that sickening fear that I would miss, fall, and break my neck filled me. Note to self: ask Sean to carry his own stuff next time instead of sending him to the car.

Groaning I made it to the bottom and went right to the study. I threw my stuff on the desk and began the search for sneakers. I found one under the chair and another next to the fireplace. The car horn beeped. Dad was driving us to the airport and needed to be at a meeting in an hour. I dumped Sean's sneakers into my bag and with one hand swiped my iPad and water into my bag without paying much attention. Thank God Rosalie was meeting us at the airport or dad would be late.

🌟

When we got to the spa Shirley and Jasper were waiting for us. Pure elation filled me. He hadn't been sure he'd make it in time to meet me but clearly everything had worked out in the universe to reunite us. Rosalie hugged her brother. I got a long forehead to forehead touch with some kisses before Sean started teasing us. To my surprise Shirley didn't have a problem with the additions to our party. Introductions for Rosalie and Shirley followed. She and Rosalie took Sean for lunch so Jasper and I could have some privacy. We went for a long mostly silent walk. Eventually we ended up at the edge of the spa ground near a small pond.

"I'm so glad you're back."

"Me too."

"Do you need to talk?"

"This was a bad fight," he said slowly. "There was a time I was not sure I would make it out. A group slipped through our lines and got into the city. They were not newborns but vampires that had been with Maria for decades. Gad, Sarah's second in command was selected to go with me along with two others. This was just after Maria was killed but Sarah did not want this group to escape justice. They were the only members of the coven left and this fight needed to end with a message to all.

We chased them through town until they realized we were not going to give up. They chose to make their stand on top of a skyscraper. It was not the best terrain choice. They managed to kill our two comrades so it became four against two. One went for Gad and three others came at me." He pulled up his sleeves and showed me a series of bite marks. Then pulled down his shirt so I could see his neck. The fresher crescent shaped scars were slightly raised against his skin. "Gad dispatched his opponent and came to help me just in time or I would not be here now."

"Can you give me Gad's address? I want to send him a gift basket every year until the end of time." I put my arm around him and rested my head on his shoulder.

"If you want. Though he would not want any special thank you. He's a very practical man."

"Is there anything else you need to get out?" I asked gently. I had been reading up on how to treat soldiers returning from war. I knew that asking them directly wasn't always a good thing, but since he'd been open just now maybe it was ok with him.

"Sarah wanted me to take over Maria's former territory." He shrugged.

"Why?"

"As a reward for my service. I told her I had fought for two causes I didn't believe in and was not about to add a third. Instead I asked her not to enlist me in another fight if at all possible. She gave the area to someone else."

"I'll pray you never have go away again."

"When did you start praying?"

"The night you left. I know you don't believe in God but I do. It really helped me while you gone."

He didn't say anything for a while. When he spoke again it was only two words. "Thank you."

🌟

Instead of staying with the girls Jasper and I got our own room. Sean requested to bunk with Shirley and Rose. I suspected because he thought they would let him get away with jumping on the bed and eating a ton of junk food, which wasn't true, probably. Shirley perked up at this and whispered 'have fun'. I told her we'd be down for dinner in ten minutes with the rest of them and she laughed skeptically.

"Jasper. Would you do me the honor?" I held out the ring box. He smiled and sunk down on one knee again to slip the ring on my finger.

"I love you."

"I love you. And I've decided on a date."

"When shall we be getting married, my dear?" Jasper asked while pulling me close.

"August 1st this year. I don't want to wait one more second than I must to be your wife." He looked at me as if he were melting inside and I shared the feeling of pure delight. His bright golden eyes danced with joy.

"Are you certain we can pull that off in so short a time? What about your parents?"

"They're going to take some convincing but ultimately this is my choice. Even if they don't agree they'd still come to the wedding. And have you met your sister? If we wanted to get married tomorrow she'd still find a way to pull off the fanciest ceremony of the century."

He nodded in agreement. "Although due to the the location I have selected an extremely fancy wedding may not be in the cards."

"And where will we be getting married, Major?"

"How does atop Wendigo Falls sound to you?"

"Perfect." And from there we went to dinner. I didn't say anything about our engagement because it was much more fun watching Shirley notice the ring on my finger about half way through dessert. 

Later that night as I unpacked, I found something I hadn't put in my backpack. It was a file that must have accidentally slid in while I pushed my iPad into the bag. I wasn't going to open it at first, but as I gently tossed it aside a single piece of paper popped out. It was an arrest record for my father.