16. The Calm Before the Storm

The song is just a song I really like right now :)

All rights reserved by TupTake

Emma was laying in Coda's blue tent with her back to the ground. The dirt was uneven under her frail body, making every movement slightly painful. One of her legs was bent to make an arch as the other rested on the bent knee. The light from the sun was beautiful as it glimmered through the thin fabric of the tent.

All was calm after the mess this morning. People had started to go on with their daily morning routines, something Emma lacked right now. She was new and did not know her place in the community. She knew that while the children when to 'school' in the field of grass their parent when out to hunt. Some of the older members stayed behind to clean the campgrounds or wash clothes. But, the rouge pack did not have a lot of older members. Most left because moving around a lot is too hard for them or they have family they really miss in another pack.

There is one lady that Jess suggested that Emma could help out. She is heavily pregnant and is at the stage where she has a hard time do some tasks. With that thought, she sprang to her feet and put on Coda's sweater over the white shirt she had borrowed from him last night. She had gotten the dark blue skinny jeans from his mother, Jess. They fit well.

As Emma unzipped the tent she was greeted by one of the twins. Zane. He smiled warmly at her as he walked closer to her. He had nice clothes on today. A light blue t-shirt and dark blue pants.

"Hi, Emma. Sure is a nice day." He smiled and turned his head to Sandra who was set on his hip. Her face was a little pail and her eyes groggy from waking up from a nap. Her head was rested on her brother's broad shoulder as she yawned and rubbed her eyes. The dress she wore puffed out and had frills on the ends.

"Yeah," Emma responded and smiled at the groggy child. She gave Sandra a small wave that she got nothing in return but a groan.

"Do you want to go on a picnic with me and miss grumpy pants here later?" Zane said as Sandra cringed away from Emma.

Emma gave him a nod and a smile.

"Good. See you later then." He waved as he rushed off to where ever he was going.

Emma continued her main mission, to visit with the lady. As she walked she could see the children all sitting in a circle as a woman sat in a fold up, chair at the edge. She was talking loudly and clearly so the children could hear and made many exaggerated movements to keep the children interested in what she was talking about.

She had a kind face and smiled at Zane as he dropped Sandra off for the lesson. The woman's hair was pulled back in a tight ponytail at the back of her head and swayed as she spoke.

"Beautiful, is she not?" A woman's voice called out.

"Yes," Emma said as she turned around to find the lady she had been looking for. She was sitting in a lawn chair. Her belly pushed out far as she stroked it lovingly. A big smile covered her face as she watched the children from afar.

"I can't wait for my baby. This is my first you know." Her eyes drifted from Emma back to the children.

"My mate, Matt was so happy." She sniffled with tears in her eyes. The pregnancy hormones getting to her.

"I'm sorry. Did I do something wrong?" Emma asked frantically as the woman started to sob.

"No. It's the pregnancy hormones getting to me. I just need some water." She said wiping her tears away with the back of her hand.

"Here I will get you a bottle." Emma rushed to get up and walked to the twins tent. Were she knew Zane would be there to help her out.

"Zane? Are you there?" She called trying to get his attention.