Chapter Nine

Ethan

Sophie and Matt dropped by early in the morning to check on us and I introduced them to my parents. Then Sophie went to pay Grandpa a visit. Meanwhile Matt went to grab something to eat from the vending machine. Politely, he asked everyone if they needed anything which made mom "Aww" over how sweet he was.

Minutes later, Skye was pulled a few feet away from me by her aunt and they spoke in a low tone. I didn't mean to eavesdrop again, but my last night's question was left with an unsatisfied answer and couldn't let it go. Especially when I heard 'How are you holding up?' Another question that raised hundreds of questions in my head. That previous accidental eavesdropping got turned to full-on purpose. There was a moment of silence but I heard Skye saying, "Just fine"

Something wasn't right.

"Hey guys, why don't I drive you home so you two cou..." Hank cut off his sentence.

Sophie was talking too, but she too has stopped. I tried to get a single sound from the people around me, but nothing. I wasn't sure if it was me or there was some sort of tension going around.

Did something happen?

Soft fingers entwined through mine, setting my what was once increased heart rate to a bliss of mess.

"What's happening?" I asked as I leaned close.

Her words smiled, "I think my aunt and your uncle like each other."

As if on cue, I heard Hank stumbled on his words, "Um... Ah... Hi... I'm Hank, Ethan's uncle." Hearing the mighty Hank nervous for the first time in my life had me grinning.

Skye

"And now, live from our studios, Hank is reaching for a hand shake. Sophie is reaching out too. Watch out people they are gazing into each other's eyes." I was whispering to Ethan. Seeing his smile got me going on with the details, well, in a funny way.

"And one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi... more hands joined the simple hand shake. Now all four are in." My voice changed, "I think we've just witnessed love at first sight."

It looked real, they were still holding hands, simply lost, gazing into one another's eyes. Wide opened, with a twinkle. There were a few times where I was a hundred percent sure of how right something could be, this was one of my few moments. Unmistakable attraction.

What broke my heart right then and there was that I've just noticed that it has been a long time since I saw Aunt Sophie's eyes sparkle and her face light up like that. I think Matt noticed that too. He stepped closer standing beside me and I rounded his small shoulders with my arm.

"You're not from around here?" Hank asked in a dreamy voice, still gazing into her eyes.

Sophia answered in the same voice, "No, we moved here recently."

He nodded, "Must be, or I would have remembered seeing you."

Nice one Hank! I cheered silently.

I saw the way he treated Ethan. How much he cared about him. How he treated his family. The guy was awesome in many ways and he might be just what Aunt Sophie needed. And from the looks of it, she might be what he needed too.

Hank volunteered to drive me and Matt home, so I could catch some sleep. Ethan was going to do the same. Now that everything turned out to the best sleeping seemed like a fluffy, cozy and soft idea.

Ethan

Skye took it upon herself to drive me to the hospital after school. When Dr. McCartney released Gramps from the ICU to a regular room, she wanted to visit him, and I couldn't say how much that meant to me. I was just about to introduce her to him when the old man took over.