Chapter Twelve

Ethan

As I inhaled, I breathed her in, the sweet, fruity smell of her shampoo and that haunting perfume I would recognize anywhere. This closeness was calming yet at the same time it was astonishing and I found myself in one hectic sensational mess.

Skye has never asked me to talk about what happened or the details of how I became blind. Never the less I wanted her to know. She should know. For the sake of whatever the future held- I wanted to be an open book. I wanted her to know me from that previous time in my life that got me to where I was.

I took a deep breath and cleared my throat before starting they trip to the past, "So, a couple of years ago I was in the school's football team. Most of my teammates were second or third generation football players –just like me, so you can say it was kindda' in our blood and frankly, our lives revolved around the game."

I smiled at the memory, "We've never lost a single game that season, the long practice hours and hard work were finally paying off. The teams' name climbed that score board one game after the other, victory after victory. We were on a streak and that year was ours without a doubt. My god, I'll never forget that day."

"It was our final game and we played against one of the toughest players we ever came across. All the games we played before were nothing compared to this one. And god, if you could see the benches, the place was packed! No matter in which direction you turned, there wasn't a single empty space."

"Crowds cheered nonstop. The band played their music. You could smell of freshly mowed grass, popcorn and hot dogs filling the air. Coach looked like he was about to have a stroke at any moment."

Skye's light laugh played with my heart strings.

"Seriously, I've never saw someone look that pale and red." Skye laughed harder making me chuckle too.

The events time were live in my mind like it was just yesterday and I kept going, "The tension, the static and the excitement- everything around us was magnified and heightened a hundred times. That day we played in sync like we've never did before. The whole team was focused and in the zone. And those guys we played against were ruthless. They met every point of ours with one of theirs."

"So you see, we were one minute away from the final whistle, it was either we win or lose the game and the whole season. I swear, I've never heard that many people be so silent. It was one minute with a fifty-fifty chance. When we scored that final, no flags, clear touchdown it was unbelievable and the crowd went crazy, Tigers... Tigers... Tigers..."

I could feel the rush pulsing through me. Recalling the game details with the same enthusiasm that I lived it with. I wished I could've share that day with her, back when everything was fine. Where I could've introduced the old me to her and not this massive mess that I've became.

Would she have liked me then?

"I can almost imagine it! That must have been amazing!" Skye's voice was infused with exhilaration and excitement that matched mine. That smile that I liked hugged her words.

"It was! Newspapers wrote about it. Local sports news channels covered the whole game. Sports magazines didn't stop writing about the team and the games we won. It was wild! Different universities, managers, coaches were scouting to find players to join their teams. I had some awesome offers that day. Scholarships, national team, football career, it was absolutely mind blowing. Some even had their contracts ready to be signed right on spot. Everything I dreamt of was happening."

I started to get edgy as I reached the next part, "We had this tradition going on after every big game we won and we would throw this huge party where everyone was invited. That day Kyle hosted the winning party since his parents were out of town and man, that guy threw the coolest parties that made everyone want to attend.