Chapter Nineteen

Ethan

"I'm perfectly fine to walk on my own! I've just checked in. I didn't even go through my surgery yet, so why are you pushing me around?" I tried to stand but the firm hand on my shoulder set me back on the wheelchair.

"Hospital rules." The nurse behind me piped patiently.

The way she was handling me told me that I wasn't her first grumpy patient.

I growled, "I don't need it!"

Hank stepped in, his voice becoming closer, "Ethan, why don't you let the nice lady here do her job," then he added, "Relax, Skye will be here."

He knew exactly which of my fuses were about to short out.

"Did you try calling her?" I asked getting more avid by the minute.

"Yes, she said she was on her way." Hank breathed.

I slumped back on the chair and let the nurse push me around.

My parents were still here, there were a few papers they needed to sign before they leave. Despite mom's objection and dad's reluctance I didn't want them to stay any longer than they should.

Even Hank, although we were close friends, I wouldn't let him stay. His role was picking me up and dropping me off. Just means of transportation, no more- no less.

As for Grandpa, it has been a long time since I've called him before a surgery. For the past years he's been getting the news from mom and I refused to talk to him.

After my first failed surgery I started doing this alone and I would keep doing this alone. There was literally nothing they could do for me before, during or after the surgery.

My rules haven't change even now, but first, I needed her here with me. Not in a clingy way, but in the sorts of 'everything will be fine with her here' kind of a way.

We stayed up all night while she read to me. It was three in the morning when we finished our book. Afterwards we talked a lot and laughed a lot and said 'I love you' not enough times. I don't think there would ever be enough times.

It was past five when Skye's her words started to slur and I heard her stifled yawns that was when I asked her to go to sleep. She kept the line open and on the sound of her even, steady breathing I was lulled to a peaceful slumber.

I grinned.

"Now that you've stopped rumbling and got all smiles, wait here until I grab your file."

The nurse's voice penetrated my thoughts before she walked away. I was savoring many yesterday's memories that I haven't realize when nurse has stopped pushing the chair.

"Hey. Sorry I'm late, I couldn't find a parking space."

Skye's sweet voice reached my ears a moment later sending delicious tingles through my body. I breathed.

"Hey you..." I reached out, eager for her hand. The moment our hands touched I started pulling her demanding my usual 'hello' kiss.

I felt her tense up and not getting any closer.

"Your parents are here!" She whispered sounding nervous.

I grinned, not whispering at all, "So? They do know that we kiss. A lot!"

Her hand tightened around mine signaling me to stop, but I wouldn't.

I want my kiss!

Turning my head in the direction where I heard my parent last spoke. I couldn't recall where the heck Hank was at the moment. "Look away people, I'm trying to kiss my girlfriend."