Chapter Twenty

Ethan

Today was the big day.

The bandages were finally coming off. I've been through this many times that I was afraid to get my hopes up. All that stress that I've buried for the past five days was digging its way out and started tying my inside in knots. The air in the room was chokingly thick with anticipation and apprehension.

I tried the compel my nerves to relax as I waited for Dr. Pendny, but as soon as I lean my back to the hospitals' bed I shoot sitting right up. I was growing more restless with every passing second.

The different thing about this time was that they were all here. Mom and dad insisted on coming. Hank, drove me and stayed.

"Hey, why do they get to stay and I don't!" Was Hank's objection when saw my parents there. "I'm not going anywhere!"

Yup! He stayed.

Sophie's shift just ended, so she came to check on me. Matt gave me a rock from his exclusive collection for good luck, I think it was called obsidian or something like that. And then there was  Skye... the girl of my dreams, literally. As much as I wanted to see her, I was vastly anxious with the possibility of this surgery following in the tracks of all the previous ones.

My thoughts were all over the place, especially the ones where this didn't work out and ended being a massive disappointment for her and all the other people in this room. I tried to force my brain to think about something else, anything else, but no matter what idea sparked in there I always came back to square one.

Shortly afterwards, Dr. Pendny walked in and I felt my chest clinch tightly.

"Good afternoon... Oh!" He sounded startled for a moment. "I see we have the entire family here."

A stir of chuckles and giggles spread around easing the tension a bit, but I couldn't join them. I couldn't follow that stream. Too many fails would do that. Desperately, I tried to hold on to the tiniest glimpse of hope and keep my act together. For my sake and for sake of the people around me.

There were shuffles going on around me as people moved in the room before they quieted down.

"How are you doing, Ethan?" His voice came from beside my bed, calm and confident.

"Good. Thank you." I replied, my throat felt tight.

"Ready to do this?" His hand patted my shoulder.

I nodded, "Yes."

"First, let's put those gloves on..."

As he spoke there was a low rustle and then a snap. He was guiding me through what he was doing as he went on. "Now we are going to remove the tape. This might be a little uncomfortable."

His latex covered hands started, agonizingly slowly, to pull off the tape that held the eye shields and bandages in place. My heart was pounding loudly in my chest, throat and ears as the sticky-straps were being peeled off my skin.

With great expertise his finger inched on my skin – moving under every bit of the tape to ease the slight burn as he took it off.

"Now, I'll do the other side."

He told me and stared working on the other eye, all in a slow motion that pushed me closer to madness by the minute.

"Keep your eyes closed for me."

I did. I stayed statue-still until the last bit of tape was removed. I could feel the air on that part of my skin after it was released from its shield and bandages.