Chapter Three

/Kellin pov/

"...but principal Andrews why me?"

"Because Kellin your grades are good and your attitude is what he needs"

"But I'm sure there's got to be someone better to mentor this student"

"Nonsense Kellin I have every faith in you he should be before lunch so come by then ok" Principal Andrews tells me.

"Ok" I nod and leave to get to my locker. Hoping to avoid the harassment from the jerk face. That's my name for Vic Fuentes.

Once at my locker I see a few of my friends gathered Andy, Juliet and Justin.

"Hi guys" I say to them. We have one period left till lunch but we have study hall so it's basically a free period.

"Sup Kellin where were ya" Andy asks.

"Oh Principal Andrews wants me to mentor a student" I tell them.

"Really who?" Justin asks.

"I have no idea he told me to come back around lunch time to meet them, probably some freshman who doesn't know their way around school" I say.

"Probably" they agree. Juliet and Andy hold hands while Justin and I walk next to them. Trying to avoid the cringe of the two lovebirds.

Now that study hall is over we go down to the main floor and head to the cafeteria, only to be stopped by none other than jerk face. I tuned out most of what he was say to me I try to ignore it. But when he was saying that one term I started to pay attention.

"...Like that fag..." he yells at me while shoving me into a wall. "I bet you do being a fag and all"

"Whatcha—" but he was cut off. Thank you god. Whoever you are.

"Mr. Fuentes" I hear a stern voice say behind.

"Oh hi Ms. Cooper"  he said nervously. Praise. Thank god it's a teacher.

"Follow me Vic" she says to him.

Then he leaves with her and I straighten myself out before leaving my friends to see who this person I have to mentor is. I tell my friends I'll see them later they nod and I go. My friends don't like to take action against jerk face, because then they know they become targets themselves, it's not like I blame them there's nothing they can do about it, I wear my heart on my sleeve and openly and I have to pay the price for it. Especially with someone as homophobic as jerk face. Yet I still can't help but find him incredibly attractive.

I get to the principals office and I wait outside it since I hear him yelling at someone, wait that's Vic he's yelling at. A smile forms on my face since he's finally got what he deserves. Soon I see Principal Andrews pop out and call me over. I give a confused look to him. But he motions for me and I go over. That's when I see a distressed jerk face and Principal Andrews starts talking.

"You've got to be kidding me?" Oli says I tell them everything now that I'm at lunch with my friends.

"I wish" I sigh.

"Hey but look at the bright side Kels, you get to hang out with him and he can't be mean to you" Lynn tells me. They know I sorta like him.

"Lynn you know that jerk face has a girlfriend and is definitely not ever going to like me, so why say shit like that" I say to her.

"Kellin Kellin Kellin, there's clearly something that I know better than you, that and being your only other gay friend I know my gaydar and it goes off around him"

"Lynn you're either wrong or mines broken but there's no way he is, see he's over there with his girlfriend meaning that it's not going to happen ok"

"Oh will you two shut up already" Josh yells at us.

"What's up your butt?" Lynn criticizes. Which makes me laugh out loud.

"Now if you excuse me I have to talk to Principal Andrews about getting out of this" I say.

"Good luck Kellin" I hear Oli say. I saw Lynn roll her eyes.

I walk back to the office and knock on the principals door. He lets me in.

"Hello Kellin What could I do for you"

"Is there anyway I can not mentor j- Vic?" I say.

"But I thought we had an understanding, your grades are good and your attitude is exactly what he needs" he tells me.

"But- there's a few problems with that" I say. He just looks at me waiting for me to go on. "He's the one whose been harassing me"

"I know Kellin and that exactly why I choose you for this. He needs see the potential in people that are different from him. You guys may not get along now, but I hope that he can be civil towards you in the future and learn that what he's done has consequences" the principal finishes.

"So I can't get out of this no matter how much I ask then" I say.

"Nope sorry Kellin, and I hope to hear back from you in two weeks on how he's doing" he say to me.

I nod and leave his office, sigh and go to my next class. How did I get myself in this shit?