Chapter 1

This picks up right where Humanity 1 "The Encounter" left off. If you haven't read it, go to my profile!

***

I hear a knock on the door as I'm about to get in bed. I roll my eyes because I know Ryan won't answer it. Who could it be this late at night. I walk down the steps and open the door to see Elena. She looks upset.

"Hey, Elena." I smile at her and she gives me a weak smile.

"Hey." She whispers. "I just wanted to make sure that you got home okay." She says.

"Yeah, I'm okay. What about you? Is everything okay?" I ask her and she shakes her head like something is on her mind. "Oh...um...well, come on in. We can talk about whatever it is." I tell her and she smiles as I step aside and let her in.

We walk into the living room and she sits on the couch. "Look, Ashley. I know that you care about Jeremy, but this thing between me and him is my business, not yours." She says kind of aggressively and I'm taken back.

"What? Elena, I was just trying to help."

"And I get that, but we don't your help. I'll fix this and you don't need to be involved okay?"

I shake my head. "No, it's not okay. I don't understand why it's a big deal. Stefan asked me to talk to Jeremy so I did."

She stands from the couch. "And that's another thing. Stefan is my boyfriend, not yours so if you could maybe act like that, that would be great. Goodnight, Ashley." She says before I can say another word and she walks out of the house.

What the hell is her problem? Stefan is my friend...that's it. I'm just trying to be there for him like he is for me. And I was helping Jeremy because he's my friend too. I don't understand why she acted like that. I've never seen that side of her before. I didn't even know it existed. I stand in my living room in awe before I decide to call it a night.

Before I even reach my bedroom, my phone rings. It's Matt.

***

I hurry into the hospital in leggings and a baggy sweatshirt and I see Matt sitting on a bench outside of a room. I run over to him and smile as I sit down next to him.

"How is Caroline?" I ask trying to stay calm for Matt's sake.

"She's not good, Ash." He says and I nod.

"What happened?"

"We were driving and Tyler heard a noise and he got..."

"A noise?" I interrupt him. The Gilbert device?

Matt nods as he continues. "He got this migraine or something and he lost control of the car...I thought that Caroline was fine and then...then she wasn't so..." Matt explains and I shake my head. How could this happen? Why did this happen?

I look over and I see Damon come into the hallway. He walks over to Caroline's mom, his face filled with concern.

"Liz, I came as soon as I got the message. Is she okay?" Damon asks her and I try not to make it obvious that I'm eaves dropping.

"She's in surgery, it's...they're doing everything they can. I need your help, Damon." She whispers and I stand up, moving closer to them. No one else is really paying attention and I see Bonnie sit down with Matt so I do my best to hear the conversation.

"Sure, anything Liz."

"Mayor Lockwood is dead. They thought he was a vampire. They put him the basement. The sheriff tells Damon and I frown. Damon should have seen him. Why didn't he mention that? If the device killed the mayor then maybe it did affect Tyler too. But why?