Chapter 16

STEFAN’S POV

I button up my shirt while I watch in amusement as Elena bursts out of the bathroom to grab her backpack.

“Stefan, we’re late for school.” She tells me and I smile at her.

“Let’s be later.” I tease.

“Stefan, it’s school. Remember, that thing that we keep forgetting about?” She says as I come up behind her and wrap my arms around her.

“School?” I question, pressing my lips to her. She giggles into my mouth. “Doesn’t ring a bell.” I whisper, picking her up and pulling her down onto the bed as she laughs.

“Stefan!” She tries to fight it as I kiss her neck. “Stefan! Okay, five minutes. Only five minutes.” She gives in.

“Five minutes?” I whine as we kiss passionately.

ASHLEY’S POV

I walk up the steps to the Salvatore’s front door. I’m riding to school with Stefan and Elena even though it feels like I haven’t been to school in forever.

I don’t bother knocking and when I walk inside, Elena is pulling her coat over her shoulders.

“Hey, Elena.” I smile and she returns to favor.

Damon comes around the corner and pulls me into him, kissing the top of my head.

“Good morning, Damon.” Elena speaks from behind us and Damon pulls away from me to look at her.

Before I know what’s happening, he rushes over to her and slams her up against the wall. I freeze in confusion.

“What are you doing here? I told you to leave.” Damon questions and I take a step forward.

“What is your problem, Damon?” I yell and he ignores me.

“You’re wearing her clothes. Like that’s going to work.” He says and I put the pieces together. Katherine?

“You think I’m Katherine? Why would you think that? Katherine’s in the tomb! Isn’t she?” I’m not sure if this is Katherine or Elena right now. It sounds like Elena and Damon releases her as Stefan walks into the room.

“What the hell is going on here?” Stefan asks.

“I don’t know, you tell me. Is Katherine in the tomb, or not?” Elena asks.

Stefan rushes up the steps to his room and Damon and I follow. He runs over to who I assume to be Katherine and pushes her against the wall.

“What are you doing?” She asks.

“How could you do this?” Stefan asks her angrily.

“Stefan, you’re hurting me.” She cries and I realize that that must be Elena.

“Stop it, Katherine.” Stefan demands.

“Stop what?” I hear her snide voice from behind me and we all turn to see Katherine standing in the doorway. “It’s getting really easy being you.” She smirks at Elena.

***

“What is she doing here?” I ask angrily when we’ve all calmed down. We’re still all in Stefan’s room. Me, Damon, Elena, Stefan, and Katherine.

“When we killed Elijah, it broke the compulsion and freed the bitch from the tomb.” Damon explains.

“How’s that possible?” Stefan asks.

“He’s an Original. They have all sorts of special skills.” Katherine comments.

“I don’t want you here. Get her out of here.” Elena speaks up and Katherine smiles.