Chapter 4

I’m walking through a long dark hallway and I can hear voices from the end of it. As I continue walking, I begin to recognize the hallway.

It’s my upstairs hallway at my old house.

Why the hell am I here?

“We can’t tell her.” I hear a male voice.

“We have to, Steve, she’s our daughter.” I hear a female voice and I realize that it’s my mom’s. She’s talking to my dad.

I pick up my pace and hurry down the hallway, but as I run, the hallway gets longer and longer and I don’t get any closer to the door at the end of the hallway.

“Mary, if we tell her, it could put her life in danger.” My dad says and his voice sounds different, demonic.

“MOM! DAD!” I yell as the walls begin closing in.

“Ashley?!” The male voice calls to me and I try to reach it.

“DAD!” I keep running until I trip…everything goes black but I still hear the voice.

“Ashley!”

“Ashley!” My shoulders are being shaken and my eyes fly open.

“Ryan?” I ask as I look up at him, his face filled with concern.

It was all a dream. My parents weren’t there. They’re dead. It was a dream.

“Hey, are you okay?” Ryan asks as I stare off into space and I nod weakly. “It’s okay, it was just a dream.” He tells me, even though I know.

I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I think between my parents, that box of my dad’s stuff and this Melanie person, my mind is all over the place.

“I’m okay, Ryan.” I reassure him as I sit up.

“Alright, I’m gonna go to work.” He says as he starts to walk out but I jump out of bed.

He hasn’t been to work since I told him everything. For crying out loud, he works with a bunch of nerds who study vampires.

“Ryan.” I stand in front of him and place my hands on his shoulder. “You have to promise that you won’t say anything about…you know…vampires.” I whisper and he presses his lips into a firm line.

He takes a deep breath and pulls me to his chest.

“I won’t. You haven’t given me reason not to trust you. Just promise me that you’ll be careful and your secret will be safe with me.” He says as I pull away.

“I promise.” I smile at him and he returns it before walking out of the room.

As soon as I hear the front door close, I hurry to get dressed.

I need to go clear my head before I dive into a box of old family history.

STEFAN’S POV

I wake up from a horrible dream where Elena was with Damon and I was with Katherine and I don’t know what the hell is going on.

I’m relieved when I see Elena resting her head on my chest.

“Hey, are you okay?” She asks, looking up at me.

“Yeah. Yes, bad dream. Get back to sleep.” I tell her and she smiles.

I knew it. I jump from the bed and slam my back against the wall.

“Katherine.” I say quietly and she sits up, smiling at me.

“You have to admit I am getting better at this. It was easy to get inside of your head. Have you completely forsaken your nature?” She teases and I rush towards her.