Chapter 19

I’m sitting in the basement waiting, when I suddenly hear a gasp for air. I look over and see Elijah sitting up.

“Elijah.” I say to him as he looks around to gather his surroundings. He closes his eyes and begins to squirm in pain.

“I can’t…I can’t breath! What’s happening to me?” He asks in a panic. He rushes to the door, catching himself on the doorway for support. “I can’t…I can’t be in this house.”

It finally clicks in my head. “You’re not invited in.”

“Then get me out of here.” He says firmly, slamming into another wall and disappearing up the steps. I follow him upstairs and he’s standing outside of the front door.

He tries to walk towards me, but he’s stopped at the doorway. “What happened?” He asks.

“Shh.” I point to my ear and then inside to tell him that I don’t want Stefan and Damon to hear. “I’ll tell you. Not here. Can I trust you?” I whisper.

“Can I trust you?” He whispers back.

I take a deep breath and remove the dagger from my back pocket, handing it to him.

DAMON’S POV

I walk into the living room, sipping a blood bag. Stefan’s sitting on the couch and Elena walks into the room.

“Hey, have you guys seen Ashley?” She asks.

Stefan looks at me for an answer but I just shrug. “She wasn’t here when I woke up. I thought she went to school with you.” I tell Elena.

“Oh, maybe she went without me.”

I begin to worry about her so I put the blood bag down and pull my phone out of my pocket. It rings for a little while and then goes to voicemail.

“Hey, it’s me. Where are you? Call me.” I say into the phone before hanging up.

I see Stefan stand up from the corner of my eye. I follow his gaze to the basement door. It’s open. I rush down the steps with Stefan behind me. We come into the cellar and it’s empty. Elijah’s gone.

“No, she didn’t.” I sigh, shaking my head.

ASHLEY’S POV

I park my car and look next to me to see Elijah slipping a blood bag that I snatched from the Salvatore’s basement.

“You look better.” I tell him.

“Where did you get the dagger?” He ignores me.

“I’ll tell you everything. But we have to work together, Elijah. I need your word.”

“You have no ability to make demands.” He tells me.

“No demands. I’m offering you my help. And in return, I want yours.”

“And why should I even consider this? You daggered me.”

“Yes, I did. But then I freed you.” I tell him and he smirks at my words. My phone rings and I answer it when I see that it’s Damon.

“Where are you? Are you okay?” He asks in a panic.

“Yes, I’m fine.”

“Where’s Elijah?” He asks.

“He’s right here.”

“Where? I’m on my way.”

“No, Damon. Elijah and I need some time alone.”

“Listen to me. He can’t be trusted. He’ll use you to get Elena to get to Klaus.” Damon warns me.

“Elijah is a nobel man, Damon. He lives by a code of honor. I can trust him. He knows that I’d be incredibly stupid to betray him again. By removing the dagger, I have proven myself.” I tell Damon and I see Elijah nodding next to me.