Chapter 20

ASHLEY'S POV

"Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse." Elijah explains as Stefan, Elena, and I sit in the living room.

Elijah has explained the plan to me. He has an elixir that is made to bring me and Elena back after Klaus kills us. Bonnie only has to use enough power to weaken Klaus. Elijah will do the rest. If everything goes as planned, we should all be okay.

Yesterday was awful. I learned more about my family than I ever wanted to know. I don't want to be a pureblood hybrid...whatever the hell that is.

I asked Elena to fill Ryan in on all of this. I can't face him knowing what I have to do. Apparently, Jenna found about vampires. Ric or Klaus or whoever went to her house and messed with her head. Stefan stepped in and they had to tell Jenna everything.

Everything keeps going from bad to worse and I hope this curse thing goes as planned.

"Ashley said that the sun and the moon curse is fake?" Stefan's voice brings me back to reality. "That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus."

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it...he'll be a true hybrid." Elijah explains.

"Then why are we letting him break the curse?" Damon asks from behind me, walking into the room. He's upset about this agreement with Elijah. "We can kill him today. With Bonnie."

"Damon..." I step in and Elena gets mad.

"No. Bonnie can't use that much power without dying." Elena tells him.

"I'll write her a great eulogy." Damon scoffs.

"It's not an option, Damon." I tell him firmly.

"Alright, how do we break this curse?" Stefan asks Elijah.

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straight forward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know."

"The moonstone." Stefan starts.

"A witch to channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each. Then the quick sacrifice of the doppleganger..." Elijah trails off.

"And then me." I whisper.

"The final part of the ritual. Klaus must drink the blood of the pureblood hybrid...to the point of your death." Elijah explains and I take a deep breath. I feel a hand grip mine. Damon.

"And that's where you come in." Elena says to Elijah as I stay quiet.

Elijah pulls a small jar out of a wooden box. "This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation."

"So, we'll be dead?" I ask weakly.

"And then you won't." Elijah shrugs.

"That's your plan?" Damon asks Elijah, dropping my hand. "A magical potion with no expiration date." He turns and looks at me and Elena. "You guys wanna come back to life, what about the Gilbert rings?"

"Those rings only work on humans. The doppleganger and pureblood hybrid are supernatural occurrences. Odds are, the rings won't work." Elijah explains.

"I'll take those odds over your elixir. What if it doesn't work, Ashley?" Damon asks me and I know the answer. I don't like it, but I know it.

"Then I guess I'll just be dead." I whisper.