Chapter 21

"So that's what a werewolf bite looks like." Katherine comments as she stands over me, observing the bite.

"Yep." I state.

"It's not that bad." She scoffs.

"It will be." I stand up and roll my sleeve down to cover up the bite mark.

"So that's it? You're just...going to die?" She questions me.

"Well, that depends. You know anything about a cure?" I ask and she shakes her head. "Me either."

I grab my jacket from the chair and pull it over my shoulders, making my way to the door.

"145 years and no last goodbye?" Katherine asks me and I turn around.

"You don't get a goodbye." I turn away and she vamp speeds in front of me, stopping me from leaving.

"No. Don't leave mad." She pleads.

"Us ending up on good terms isn't exactly on my bucket list, Katherine." I scoff.

I try to leave again but she won't let me. "Klaus made me call Jenna to lure her out. There was nothing that I could do. I didn't have a choice."

"That's why I gave you the vervain. So you had a choice." I fire back at her.

"It was me or her. I chose her."

"I helped you. You owed me. Now when Klaus dies, you're going to walk out of here without a scratch and Elena's aunt dies. Somehow, you're the only one that wins. How'd that happen?"

"I didn't let love get in the way." She tells me and I roll my eyes.

"Enjoy an eternity alone, Katherine." I smirk, walking past her.

ASHLEY'S POV

"Oh, my head. What's wrong with me?" Jenna asks, sitting up and rubbing her head.

"Do you remember what happened?" Elena asks as we sit next to her on the ground.

"You called me. You were so scared. Oh, ah, I should have realized that it wasn't you. The second I walked out of the house, someone grabbed me. A vampire." She explains.

"Klaus. It was Klaus." I tell her.

"He made me drink his blood. And I don't...I don't remember anything after that." She says, looking around anxiously. "Where are we? What happened?"

Elena takes Jenna's hand to calm her down. "We're at the quarry. He brought us here."

"Why don't I remember anything?" Jenna asks.

"Jenna, do you remember...when I told you how someone becomes a vampire?" Elena asks.

"Yeah, you have to die with vampire blood in your system, it's..." She pauses, putting the pieces together and my stomach tightens. "Oh, god. He killed me."

"Jenna, listen to me. Listen to me. Everything's going to be okay. I'm going to get you out of here." Elena tries to calm her down.

"I'm a vampire?" She asks, tears in her eyes.

"And I bet you're hungry." Greta smirks, walking over to us. I see a sharp rock nearby and I lunge for it.

Greta turns, waving her hand as she throws me through the air. I land on the ground, painfully and a circle of fire appears surrounding me. I look up and see a smilier ring of fire separating Jenna and Elena.

"Don't bother trying to get through. I spelled the circle. You're trapped. No matter what you do." Greta says to me.

"Greta...please, just...just let her go." I plead.