Chapter 13

“The authorities believe last night’s assailant may also be related to the missing campers and park ranger who have yet to be found, as well as 25 year old, Jessica Koenig, reported missing this morning.” I hear the news on as I walk into the living room.

Ryan is sitting on the couch, but not really paying attention.

“The sheriff’s department says investigations are pending and no further comment will be made.” The lady finishes speaking and Ryan turns it off.

He turns to look at me as I clutch my purse in my hand. “Everything okay?” He asks and I know he’s referring to the attacks on TV.

“Yeah. It’s all under control. I’m going to Damon’s.” I tell him and he gives me a confused look.

“Damon’s?” He asks.

“Yeah. That girl Rose died last night. I just wanna make sure he’s okay.” I confess and Ryan nods in understanding.

“Be careful.” He says, as usual and I smile at him before walking out to my car.

***

“You brought back John Gilbert? That was your big ‘save Elena’ move?” Damon asks Stefan in frustration.

I came here to see if Damon was okay. I’ve been standing in their living room for 10 minutes and haven’t gotten a chance to talk to him alone. Stefan went out looking for Isobel and got what he thinks is the next best thing. Damon is not happy about it.

“I went to go look for Isobel, and I got John instead. He said he can help us, and we’re desperate.” Stefan defends himself.

“We’re not that desperate, Stefan. The guy tried to barbecue me.” Damon huffs.

“Damon, Bonnie’s new witch friend is working with Elijah, so we have to assume that the moonstone was never destroyed.” Stefan repeats what Rose and I spoke about earlier. “Elena is putting all of her faith into some deal that she made with Elijah to keep everyone safe. I mean, do you trust Elijah? I don’t trust him. He’s an Original, he can’t be trusted. It’s not like we can just kill him, because apparently, he can’t die.” Stefan explains.

“I’m still waiting for the part where John Gilbert is the answer.” Damon shoot back.

“He knew about the sacrifice, Isobel told him. He said he knew of a way to keep Elena safe.”

“And how do we do that?” I ask, butting into the conversation and keeping Damon from saying anything else.

“He’s not talking.” Stefan turns to me. “At least not to me anyway.”

“Great work Stefan.” Damon steps forward. “Top notch. As if I didn’t have enough problems.”

“Hey, I’m sorry about Rose.” Stefan says calmly and I tense up, not sure what Damon’s response will be like. When I tried to talk about it last night, it didn’t go well.

“Whatever. I knew the woman for 5 minutes.” He scoffs.

“And you cared about her after 5 minutes. I wonder what that means?” Stefan presses.

“It means I care, Stefan.” He rolls his eyes. “It means I’m changing, evolving into a man capable of greatness. Better watch your back, because I may just have to go get a hero-hairdo of my own, steal your thunder.” He mocks before turning and walking out of the room.

I give Stefan a small smile before following Damon. He’s about to get in his car but stops when he hears me coming.

“What do you want?” He whines, turning to face me.