Chapter 3

DAMON’S POV

“Thanks for coming, Ric.” Stefan says and I see Ric and Elena walking into the living room.

Elena takes a seat on the couch next to Stefan and I turn to Ric.

“Can I get you something to drink? Coffee? Bourbon? Bourbon in your coffee?” I ask and he ignores me, as usual. He’s probably mad at me for killing Ashley’s brother. Everyone is. 

“Elena mentioned you needed my help.” He says, looking at Stefan.

“Yeah, we were hoping you could help shed some light on the Lockwood family.” Stefan says.

Ric’s face turns up in confusion. “Now, why would I know anything about the Lockwood’s?” He asks as I finish pouring myself a drink.

I step down the two stairs and walk over to Stefan and Ric. “Well, you couldn’t. But your dead, not dead vampire wife might.” I say, smirking at him.

“Isobel’s research from when you guys were at Duke together.” Elena explains to Ric for me.

“You said that she had spent years researching this town.” Stefan adds.

“Isobel’s research in Mystic Falls is rooted in folklores and legends, but at the time I thought much of which was fiction.” Ric tells us and I nod.

“Like that amazing vampire story.” I tease and he rolls his eyes.

“Aside from vampires, what else?” Elena asks, ignoring my jokes. She’s mad at me too. Again, everyone is.

“The lycanthrope.” Ric speaks up and my head snaps up at him.

“Wait, like werewolves?” Elena asks.

I shake my head and lean against the wall. “No way, impossible, way to Lon Chaney.”

“Is it?” Stefan asks and I shoot him a look.

“I’ve been on this planet one hundred and sixty some odd years, never came across one. If werewolves exist, where the hell are they?” I ask and everyone stares at me.

“Why do you suspect the Lockwoods?” Ric asks.

“Because vervain didn’t affect the mayor at founder’s day but the Gilbert device did and it affected his son Tyler.” I explain for like the fiftieth time.

“And at the school carnival, his uncle Mason exhibited inhuman behavior when he fought with one of the carnival workers.” Stefan adds.

Thankfully Stefan was able to witness that because I missed it. Apparently, Uncle Mason did some weird jump move and broke up the fight.

“It suggests it’s some sort of a supernatural entity.” Stefan finishes.

“We were hoping that Isobel’s research could help us figure out what it is.” Elena says to Ric.

He nods and looks at Elena. “Well, all her things are still at Duke. I mean her office is still there, she’s technically still missing.”

“So can we get access to it?” I ask and Ric looks uncomfortable. “Ric, we need to know what we are dealing with. If this wolf men thing is true, I’ve seen enough movies to know it’s not good. It means Mason Lockwood is a real life Lon Chaney and that little Tyler punk may just very well be Lon Chaney junior, which means Bella Lugosi, meaning me, is totally screwed.”

When I finish speaking, I hear the front door open and close.

Everyone’s heads snap up and I hear the click of heels on the floor. I take a deep breath when I see Ashley come around the corner.