Chapter 1.

It has been three years since mom drowned in that lake. I still wonder how it could've happened. She was a pretty good swimmer and she even taught me how to swim. Everything happens for a reason, for better or for worse. Ever her death, Papa has never been the same. At first he shut us out, then the verbal abuse started, then physically abuse. The dad I once knew was no more.

My sister, Amour, was in the mirror looking at her black eye. She was trying to cover it up, while Grace trying to help her. Amour graduated form high school last year, now she has a night time job at some bar. Grace is two years younger than me, so that means she's a freshman. My mom spoke French so she named us in French, all except Grace.  Remembering her now, she was always so happy and full of life, not like the time I found her in the lake.

"Belle, I have to go to work now, make Papa his dinner okay? Grace please do not make him mad," ordered Amour.

"Okay," Grace and I harmonized. Amour hugged and kissed us bye and headed to work.

I told Grace to start her homework and she obliged. I, then, went into the kitchen to start on Papa's dinner. In the middle of making the salad there the front door was swung open and wobbled in my drunk Papa. He swayed back and forth and then he plopped on the couch groaning.

"Get me my food!" he yelled.

"I'm almost done," I responded.

"I want it now," he roared. I tried to hurry up with his pasta but apparently I was too slow because then next thing I know I was practically flown across the room. I landed with a loud thump and groaned.

I hoped that Grace didn't hear because she'll only make it worse. He came up to me and punched me in the nose, thank God it didn't break. Next he aimed for my cheek and I fell to my side. He kicked me in the side and I heard a loud crack. I screamed out in pain. Grace came running down and when she saw me she went red.

"YOU CAN'T DO THAT!" she screamed in Papa's face. His eyes went black and she cowered in fear. His hand went up and made contact with her face. He was hovering over her. 

"Stop," I whispered. He heard me and came towards me, kicking me in the side screaming to shut up. He went back to Grace kicked her in the side and left. Grace picked herself up and walked over to me. She lied down next to me combing my chocolate hair with her fingers asking me if I was okay. We both knew I'll be okay in two or three days I heal quite fast. 

  We stayed on the floor for a long time. She tried to distract me from the pain so she talked to me about her upcoming school projects. I was trying to pay attention, but I could not. The physical pain was bearable but the emotional pain hurt. How could the guy I once loved and looked up to turned into a nut case? I missed the old Papa. 

  When the pain subsided (or became slightly less painful), I went to get some pain killers.

"Grace! Did Amour take the last pain killer?" I asked holding a empty bottle. 

"Yeah," she responded.

"Let's go get some," I said.

"You can't go out like that."

"Why not?"

"Someone will see you."

 I looked at my self and saw a bruise forming on my cheek and my nose didn't look great either.

"Papa could get caught." she hissed.

"I looked worse and nobody cared." I explained.

"Oh well lets go." she sighed.

We got ready fairly quickly and then we headed around a corner. There was a Walgreen's right down the street from the apartment. As we made our way towards the store people stared and silently judged me. I kept my head held high and continued walking. Nobody knows the truth only I know the truth.  They can't bring me down. I thought. 

Ring! Ring! chimed the bells as we walked in. The store smelled of medicine and stale Cheetos. Grace walked ahead of me to get what we needed. Gauze's, band-aids, pain killers, and food. We couldn't eat the food in the refrigerator  so we have to fend for ourselves. 

I went to the refrigerator isle to get some raspberry tea. If you get the big Arizona one it's only 99 cents. That makes me so happy because I am a cheapskate. 

I was about to grab the can but I felt something watching me. I felt so uncomfortable. I wanted to hide behind my hair and that's exactly what I did. But the thing wouldn't go away. I felt someone come near me. When it finally came over, it towered over me. I had to do what all prey does. I looked up and I saw the most beautiful man I ever laid my eyes on. Yes beautiful. 

He had deep dark brown hair. I would almost say is was black but it wasn't that dark. He had the most magnificent blue eyes, nice build, soft looking skin, and a stubble. He was perfect.

~~~~

 Hey I hope you like the first chapter. This story is based on Beauty and the Beast. It is one of my favorite fairy tales and I wanted to add a twist to it. Hopefully you like it so far.

~~~~

Posted 10-20-14

Edited 12:29 pm 10-24-15

Edited 10:59 am 8-13-18