Pwa-giik

Maxxon Bell^^^^^^ (P.S. the language is Nêlêmwa)

The stone and cinder I was hauling around were starting to take their toll on my spine, though, to be fair, everything I had been doing recently was taking a toll on my spine. Maybe I had popped something out of place. That was never good. I learned pretty early on that if something was wrong, don't say anything. It's better to hold your tongue and hurt a little than get 50 lashes for opening your mouth. So that's what I did; I bit my tongue.

Alas, today was my birthday, which means I get however many lashes for how old I am. But at least I'm eighteen! I'm finally an adult, which means I'll get away from the excruciatingly painful and boring kid's tasks. When your an adult you get to build and mine rather than just moving blocks around for enjoyment. At least I would get away from the mundane. It was inhumane, to say the least, but they were demons; inhuman is what they're known for.

"Whatcha thinking 'bout, Maxxy~?" My friend, Joy, sang. She was around 5'5 with long and overgrown black hair bleached purple at the ends. The purple had long since faded and left behind a pretty, pastel purple. But! Joy hates pastels. My hair, on the other hand, was pastel pink. It used to be a dark pink but it faded as well. I kind of liked it this way, but it was getting old.

"It's my birthday. Get 18 lashes then leave this hellhole to another, but at least that new hellhole is productive." I say bitter yet (not that I would admit it out loud) excited. "I have to leave you behind. That's what I'm thinking about." She just nodded along, the cinderblock nearly slipping from her grasp. She babbled with it for a second before regaining her grip.

"Well, happy birthday. I'll meet you on the other side in February." She mock saluted to the best of her ability; dropping the cinder behind her. We both laughed a little before she picked up the cinderblock and kept walking. "Did you hear about the big demon coming into town." I shook my head 'no'. I had been left in the dark, as always. "Supposed to be a bigshot. Like, a big, big shot. Super important. Guess they're coming in tomorrow to do a checkup. It seems something went wrong this year."

"Where did you even hear this?" I exclaim dramatically. "Jenny! She overheard a demon talking about it! They sounded scared; is what she said. Funny to think a demon can even feel fear." She snorted a little bit. I was inclined to agree with her. We both broke out into stupid smiles; the thought of a shivering demon hilarious. I kind of want to see it now.

"Hey, you two!" A demon cut in, "Shut the fuck up and get back to work!" We both looked at each other and then at the demon. I flinched hard. Octrious. I hated him. He was the Nazi looking one. Big gun, always in perfect uniform, and always ready to punish you for the smallest thing. Good thing they let us talk(but not laugh! Unnng so annoying!) if not everybody here would be dead. We learned to make friends with each other as we came in. Some tried to hide from the demons. It was all in vain. Did they find you? You're dead. It was better to just work.

Once we were out of earshot from Octrious, we went back to laughing like idiots. The other demons didn't really care about laughing, well, every demon except Octrious and, like, three others. They were just dicks though. Nothing more, but probably less. They were the 'enemy of man' to us even before they became the dominant species.

"So, who is this mysterious demon?" I ask, mocking a British accent. She shrugged. "Dunno, but I sure as hell care! I wanna see these bastards shit their pants!" She laughed out manically. We both had a hatred for our captures, she just showed it more than me. I wasn't a loud person, but I definitely wasn't quiet. I just wasn't an attention whore like her.

I smiled along with her, we laughed a little bit, okay, a lot a bit. Maybe another five or so demons told us to shut up as they passed. We did for a few seconds before they were out of earshot. It had become a habit at this point. The demons never really cared anyway.

Soon enough we reached the walling site. The wall, of the sweet, sweet wall. We dragged our feet to the end of a long line of human children. Kids, some at the age of six or seven, all had cement blocks in their grasps, some with timber or metal as well. The wall stood tall next to us, it was the edge of the camp, humans not allowed outside the perimeter. Unless a human was being moved, they would be shot and killed on sight if spotted outside. There has only been one escape from this specific camp in the last four years.

The tall wall, maybe about twenty-three feet tall, was about eight feet wide and made up an area of fifteen square miles. That was how much room all of NewYork took up now. They killed all the others off. Now dear reader, do you understand why we all hate the demons? Nobody in me or Joy's family are alive anymore. Just us, how pitiful is that?

I looked over to Joy, the line was moving up very slowly, one step every two minutes. One tiny step every two minutes, they really liked to test our patience here. All we had to do was drop off the materials and they somehow dragged it out! Most humans could only make four deliveries a day, it's so fucking inconvenient! "How long till this big scary demon baby comes into town?" I asked. She looked at me puzzled for a moment before a look of realization crossed over her mucky face. "Tomorrow, did you not hear me earlier you dimwit?" I shook my head.

"I guess I didn't."