05

05

To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. -William Wordsworth

"You're marrying who?!" Mia exclaimed.

"Rex Luckwaldt." I said casually and Mia threw my pillow at me.

"Why?! You don't even know the man!"

"But he's the man that's going to save my family Mia." I sighed, hugging the pillow against my chest. The day has been too long and I was exhausted.

I knew Mia was probably worried about me for the entire day, but I had to do what's best for everyone. Talking my parents and Lily into the crazy idea took all the energy I had left in me. Even now, I can't believe I was insane enough to suggest this ridiculous idea.

"Rose! You are not marrying that man!" My Mom yelled from across the table as soon as I suggested the idea.

"I've always known you were stupid Rose," My sister insulted. "But this is absolutely ridiculous! You can't possibly live a day in my life!"

"You're right Lily, I know I can't." I told her calmly. "I know I don't have that personality of yours and people around you would immediately realize that I'm not you. So that's why we should just fool the Luckwaldt."

"What are you saying?"

"We don't have to completely switch lives Lily." I continued, "I don't have what it takes to be a model and you don't have what it takes to bake a batch of cupcakes. Whenever we need to meet the Luckwaldt, I'll be you and you can be me."

"They can't be fooled so easily Rose." Lily replied. "This crazy idea of yours isn't going to work!"

"But what other options do we have Lily?" I asked.

"We're not letting you do it." My Dad interjected and I smiled softly at him.

"Maybe I'll fall in love with Rex...and then we can always tell them the truth later right? Plus it's not like we're going to get married right off the bat. Don't we need time to know each other first or something like that? It's just for the time being until we can figure out something else." I replied.

"But you can't just be me all of a sudden!" Lily exclaimed. "You don't have the temper I have, you don't have the-"

"I know I don't Lily." I cut her off. "That's why I was thinking I move in with you. You can observe how I am and I can observe how you are. We can learn our likes and dislikes, correct the way we speak, dress the way we dress, I promise I won't ruin your image Lily. You can go to work like usual and I'll keep working at the bakery. The only thing is that if we are to meet with Rex outside we have to arrange it ahead of time."

"And you really think this is going to work?" My sister asked and I nodded even though I wasn't so sure myself.

"I'm not okay with this." My Mom said. "I can't do this to my daughter to save another one."

"Mom, I'm okay." I told her. "I'm okay with doing it, I want to help out with whatever I can."

"Rose-" My Dad spoke but I shook my head.

"Please Dad, just have faith in me okay? This is something I want to do and I won't regret it." I told them and then they didn't say anything.

I knew how much they hated my idea but I had to do what I got to do. I know how hard my parents work to build their empire even though it's not big and successful like Kingsley's or Luckwaldt's but it's their life's work. I simply can't see it going down like this without a fight.