21

21.

 "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears." - Isaac Hayes

It's true that I've grown closer to Jason within these past six months, but it doesn't mean I understand him. In fact, I didn't know much about him...I just trusted him. His love for Rex proves to me what kind of man he is so when Aiden told me what happened between him and Hailey, it's something I can't bring myself to believe. Jason is sitting beside me casually like any regular days when we spend time together. Six months ago when I tried to talk to Jason about why he agreed to the marriage and why he decided to play the game with Aiden, he avoided the question as much as possible. So staring at him right now, it's a little bit uneasy.

"Are you willing to tell me everything?" I asked.

"No," He replied. "There are some secrets I'll like to keep Rose."

"How do you know what I'm going to ask you?"

"I have an idea of what you wanted to talk about if you and Kingsley are together." He replied. "I'm sure you know that we use to be close." I nodded.

"And I know you and Hailey dated."

"Yes we did." He stared out into the trees surrounding the house.

"And you loved her." My voice was nearly a whisper. Jason's body tensed a little but he refused to look at me.

"Yes I did." He replied after a minute of silence.

"Then why'd you do it?" I asked.

"Why do you want to know?" He asked.

It felt like I was overstepping my boundaries by asking Jason this question. It was none of my business to know the history of the two especially if Jason and I aren't in love or as a matter of fact, can I even consider Hailey a friend when I've only met her a handful of times? But it was something I wanted to know because Jason Luckwaldt isn't that kind of man that Aiden thinks he is. I believe in my judgement of him and most of all, I want the three of them to consider friendship once again instead of hating.

"Because I'm your friend." I replied. He laughed and hid his face behind one of his hands. "Did I say something funny?"

"No, I just didn't think you consider yourself my friend Rose especially after all I've done to you."

"What happened is in the past Jason but from the six months we've been together after that, I have an idea of what kind of man you are. I believe in you and trust you're not that kind of man."

"Thank you for saying that Rose but whatever Aiden said about me is probably the truth." My throat went dry. I didn't expect him to be so direct about something he wishes to avoid as much as possible.

"But you loved Hailey, the both of you were engaged to each other! Why did you leave her when she needed you the most?"

"Would you believe that everything I've done was for Hailey?" He asked and I was taken back from his question. I tried to figure out what he meant but I couldn't.

Leaving a pregnant fiancée is inexcusable even if the baby was conceived by accident. They were in love for crying out loud! I wanted to curse and yell at Jason but I stopped myself. I already stuck my nose into this matter more than I should because it's none of my business, nor was it Aiden's. It was something between Jason and Hailey and it's better if no one else asked about it. It was five years ago, Ellie is already five years old and it's just like what Jason said earlier...there are some secrets he wishes to keep to himself. I stared into Jason's eyes and sensed the sincerity in them. I knew it pained him to talk about this part of his past but it felt like I could believe him.