15

15.

The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose - George William Curtis

I was sitting inside my office at the bakery with the engagement ring sitting nicely in its box. I stared at the sparkling diamond as I replayed the events from last night. It was a terrible night and I couldn't believe I let Luke found out about my identity. What's worse is that both Rex and Aiden knew something that I don't. I closed the ring box and placed it back into my purse before I leaned back in my chair and stared up at the ceiling. I watched the ceiling fan spin around and around and it made me feel like that that's what is inside my head. Things were running in my head in a never ending circle and I didn't know what I needed to do to sever this circle.

"Rose?" Ellen called and I adjusted my position. She was standing just outside of my office with a smile on her face and Mia right behind her. Ellen's been here for a week now and she adjusted to this job very well and Mia loves her. It's as if she's been working here for years instead of a week.

"Hey Ellen, what's up?" I asked.

"We were thinking if you want to have a girl's night out?" She asked and I stared at my wrist watch. I gasped when it was already six in the evening and since it is Saturday, we were closed an hour ago.

"Oh my god," I shot up from my seat. "Where did the time go?!"

"That sounds like a rhetorical question." Mia pointed out.

"Shit!"

"What's wrong?" Ellen asked.

"I have a wedding cake to finish and deliver for tomorrow morning." I pulled my hair up into a quick bun.

"Do you need help? We'll stay behind to help." Mia offered but I shook my head.

"Not now at least." I told them and I headed out of my office with them following behind me. "You two go out and have fun and I'll call you if I need help."

"Are you sure? We can help Rose." Ellen offered again but I shook my head.

"It's my fault, I was...daydreaming for the entire day and it's not fair for you two to stay behind." I replied and stepped into the kitchen.

"At least let us get you dinner?" Mia said, I smiled and nodded.

"Thanks Mia and maybe I'll need help later."

"Okay then, we'll leave for now." Mia took Ellen by her hand to take her.

Once they were gone, I slipped on an apron and started working twice as fast as usual. Baking multiple layered tier wedding cakes are time consuming and can take up to fifteen hours to complete. I cracked eggs into bowls and bowls, measured sugar, and flour as if I was a machine. I drowned myself into my work and completely forgotten about Rex or Aiden.

I poured the cake batters into the cake tray before popping them into the oven to bake. I turned on the faucet to clean my mess while the cakes baked. It's going to take awhile before I could start decorating since the cakes will need to cool before anything. I glanced at the clock on the wall and I've been preparing the batter for well over an hour now and I knew Mia and Ellen were due to be back soon.

I started to think about Rex and Aiden now that I've stopped baking. I let the water run through my hands and I couldn't help but have the scene from last night run through my head again. Just how are they connected?! Right now I am trying to figure out a mystery without asking for clues or hints. The only way I'll figure this out is when I accidently stumble across it. I've always known that Rex is mysterious but as I got to know him better, he wasn't as bad as I thought through our first meeting. Aiden on the other hand, there was always a magnetic drawn I felt towards him. He may have always had a tough exterior and can be harsh or cold at times, but it felt like I knew who he was...or so I thought.