twelve: Jase

Frankie's point of view:

"Will you stop, you're making me nervous."

"I am nervous." I bite back, narrowing my eyes at Jason's relaxed posture. He rolls his eyes, smoothly turning his car into the much nicer and richer side of the city. Long driveways and high gates with tree blocking the view of the houses, I gape and continue to wipe my hands on my thighs. "How are you not?"

"Because they're my parents?" His words form more of a question than a answer. He chuckles, checking on me again. "Please stop biting your lip, you're going to either get lipstick on your teeth or pierce a hole. Calm down will you? It's only a small dinner, it's really nothing to get so worked up about."

I scoff, huffing back into the seat of his warm black Aston Martin. "Easy for you to say."

He laughs again, his hand moving to graze atop of my knee. My body stiffens, a strangled breath lurching in my throat. "You'll do great. I tried explaining to them what happened and I told them you're just my receptionist, but mother insisted to meet the girl who was making the headlines employee or not."

And just as quickly as the butterflies were released, they were captured back into the cage and sent barrelling into the pits of my stomach at the reminder. Just his receptionist. Of course. I give him a tight smile and he taps my knee, returning back to the steering wheel. I remain silent, to afraid of what may come out of my mouth next with the swarming thoughts that I had.

"We're here."

Just like the others, they had a high risen gates and a never-ending driveway. It was beautiful and this was just the grounds. The tyres scrape along the gravel, circling around the gorgeous fountain that acted like a mini roundabout outside their house - that's how rich they were. Jason's echoing laugh runs through my ears but I still stare with my mouth wide. I didn't even notice Jason had already let himself out until he opens the door for myself.

"Stop staring, it's weird."

Of course it was weird. I came from a tiny little two-story house in the lesser side of New Jersey with my father working two jobs just to keep us happy and safe whereas to him, this was just home - normal. I give him a forceful smile, staying tight by his side as he leads us up to the enchantingly beautiful carved doors with handles bigger than my fist. My fingers ached as I grip my clutch tighter. Much like the outside, the inside was just as beautiful.

High rise ceilings, incredibly sparkly chandelier with a double staircase curving up both sides of the foyer to the next floor. I gulp, clenching that little bit harder. Jason removes his coat, unravelling his scarf and hanging it by the door before reaching for the shoulders of mine. I blush, thanking him as he hangs it beside his own.

"My boy!"

The flash of blonde hair flew past my eyes and Jason grunts with a chuckle. She was no taller than his shoulder, in fact she was the same height as myself. He rolls his eyes dramatically over her shoulder and I bite back my giggle.

"You seen me last week, mom." He groans jokingly as she holds him at arm's length and sighs happily. "Mom, this is Frankie. Frankie, meet my mom - Rachel."

Brown eyes like her sons meet mine and she grins wide, her cheeks looking like they could pop. My eyes almost leave the sockets as I was huddled into a tight hug with the sweet, flowery scent filling my nostrils. Jason pulls at his lips to hide his smirk and amusing laugh. Her hands hold my shoulders and her grin is still prominent.

"It's so nice to finally meet you!" She beams excitedly. "I've been pestering this son of mine to bring you over for two weeks now! It's like he wanted to hide you away - I can't understand why."