nineteen: Being jealous

Frankie's point of view:

"Mr Hayes and Mr Donaldson want to see you now."

Jillian's cold voice made me jump, my pencil almost slipping through the new sketches I was quietly working on. She hovers at my door, taking a long and final look before stalking back to reception. Her frosty attitude towards me still hadn't thawed out and I was often reminded that she wasn't much of a social person but for some ill-picking reason, I couldn't shake the horrible perspective I had against her.

Shutting my sketching pad, I hook it beneath my arm and grab the smaller notebook from atop of my freshly tidied desk. I check the clock hanging above my door as I leave - twenty-five minutes early for our scheduled meeting about the chalets in Switzerland. In the opposite hallway, I double knock the door and hear the beckoning call forward.

"Miss Fields." David smiles as he, Jason and the two other gentlemen in the room stand from their seats. I shake each their hands, a skip of heartbeat and a furious blush overcoming my cheeks as I shake Jason's. I don't miss the cheekily little smile that he tried to hide. "Take a seat, Miss Fields. This is Mr Hunter and Mr Croft, our contractors for Switzerland. We were just beginning to discuss the planning for the interior. Have you sketches?"

I nod, timidly tucking a piece of hair behind my ear as I lay out my fresh ideas on the table in front of the four powerful men. Previous to this meeting not only did Jason and David give me a pep-talk, but Jenny did too after I arrived shaking with nerves for my first ever assignment - aside from Jason's office.

"From the notes I have, there will be three types of chalet's - correct?" I speak, willing my voice to remain steady and calm. The men nod. "So based on the types of chalet's, the costs of each and their locations, I came up with these."

Each separate sketch represented each chalet and their views. One facing a mountain, one facing the lake and one very secluded with surrounding forest. I anxiously presented each one and gave the description of each all while cautiously watching the two unfamiliar men's faces as they overlook my work. With no expression on either face, I could feel my freshly straightened hair stick to the back of my neck from gathering sweat.

"So the bathtub will be at the window?" Mr Hunter asks. He was a older man, mid to late fifties with a gruff voice like he had smoked all his life.

I nod. "Yes sir, a floor to ceiling window overlooking the secluded lake. The shower and toilet are also glass, only the toilet has a separate cubicle to itself and is frosted half-way. The bathroom floors are also heated beneath the marble tiles."

I fiddle with my fingers in a hope to distract them from shaking uncontrollably. As the two men murmur between themselves in hushed tones, I gulp quietly and smooth my hands down the hips of my pencil skirt, wiping away the clamminess that continues to gather. Suddenly, I can feel every tight knot that started to form across my neck and shoulders ease as a hand gently brushes against my wrist. Tips of fingers ever so softly grazes my skin from wrist bone to elbow, causing a trail of fire to follow and spread to my shoulder blazes with still a feather touch. I shiver involuntarily, my slightly widened eyes still locked nervously on the men who still were discussing my work.

"Calm down." His deep, raspy whisper breathed into my ear. A soft mix of peppermint and musky cologne soothing me instantly but making me tense further. "Breathe, Frankie."

He straightens back again and I urge to release a cry as he removes his hand, returning it back to his side. I inhale shakily, flickering my eyes up to Jason's towering body that had enclosed onto my hunched frame. His tongue peaks and swipes across his lips, his eyes that were so intensely locked on his business partners quickly dart to me for a split second just to give me a daring wink and making my stomach swoop.